News - Fiat Croma Is Awarded The Euro Ncap 5-star Rating

Currently reading:
News - Fiat Croma Is Awarded The Euro Ncap 5-star Rating

I've just got this press release through from Fiat:

The Fiat Croma has been awarded the prestigious Euro NCAP 5-star rating, which puts the car at the top of its segment where safety is concerned. It is an important acknowledgement, which was recently also awarded to the Grande Punto, thus underlining the attention that Fiat Auto pays to every aspect of the protection of drivers and passengers.

On the Fiat Croma, this attention has given excellent results. To achieve them, the designers took into consideration every possible type of accident: head-on and side-on collisions, overturning, rear collisions and fire. They also analysed the different speeds at which impact may occur, the different types of obstacle and the protection of occupants with very different physical features. This added up to 18,000 hours of calculations, 120 crash tests, 100 crash simulations on HyGe sleds, 200 tests on components and subsystems, 10 new types of performance specifications and test procedures, and 8 co-design suppliers of specific structures for passive safety (2 of which were involved exclusively in the planning and development of safety devices).

Detailed analysis of all these parameters produced an array of technical solutions which make the Fiat Croma one of the safest cars on the market. The merit goes to the many sophisticated devices that are standard equipment on the Fiat Croma, starting with those dedicated to passive safety: 2 dual stage frontal airbags, 2 front sidebags, 2 window bags and a kneebag for the driver (rear sidebags are available on request). Front seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters are also standard, as is the anti-whiplash device on the front head restraints.

The new car also guarantees constant, entirely predictable road behaviour, even correcting mistakes by the driver and helping him to negotiate critical situations without difficulty. In fact, in addition to an excellent braking system, the Fiat Croma can also boast the most sophisticated electronic devices to monitor the car’s dynamic behaviour: from braking to drive. They include ABS with EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution), and above all ESP (Electronic Stability Program), the system that cuts in when conditions are close to the limit, and when the car’s stability is at risk, helping the driver to control the car.

Depending on the version, the ESP system on the Fiat Croma also includes a number of additional systems: ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) which prevents drive wheels from slipping when surface grip is poor; MSR (Motor Schleppmoment Regelung) which acts if the driver changes abruptly to a lower gear, giving torque back to the engine to prevent excessive stress on the drive wheels; HBA (Hydraulic Brake Assistance), an electronic-hydraulic device that is activated during emergency braking; and finally, the Hill Holder that simplifies hill starts.

In other words, the Fiat Croma is a car designed and built to achieve the highest levels of quality, interior reliability, technological innovation in the field of diesel engines, and safety, as the Euro NCAP rating now confirms. All-round protection which has contributed to the model’s success: since its launch, the car has conquered Europe, with over 22,000 orders. That is not all. The sales mix is particularly interesting, where both the outfits and the engines are concerned. First of all, 50% of customers have chosen the more lavishly equipped versions: the Croma Emotion accounts for 40% of orders, while 10% have chosen the Must range-topping specification, which includes 18” alloys, leather upholstery and the Sky Dome large glazed opening sunroof.

In the engine field, customers’ choices have confirmed the validity and excellence of the engine range offered on the Fiat Croma. In particular, where the Multijet turbodiesel engine is concerned, 60% of orders have been for the 150 bhp 1.9 Multijet 16v, and 10% for the powerful 200 bhp 2.4 Multijet. This engine is the ideal solution for customers looking for excellent performance combined with outstanding value for money in terms of standard equipment, all at a really unbeatable price. And we must also underline that the 5 and 6-speed automatic transmissions account for 25% of orders for the Fiat Croma, whereas the average for this segment is about 10%.

Turin, October 27, 2005

Told everyone it was a good car....yet I was mocked:cry:

Just finished reading through the technical manual other night,sad I know but interesting reading....it's a decent car(y)

ps...the anti whiplash device is a piston inside the back section of the seat.

Last edited:
the car is flawed.
1. the rear seats dont fold flat and there is a big lip on the boot.
2.the handbrake interferes with the armrest and is angled and is awkward to use.
3. the seats are not multi task as in other MPV's.so what is the croma?
i think it is an overpriced estate car that has had millions spent on development and yet they have made these stupid errors. will no doubt make a good secondhand car and a good taxi!!!!! no doubt will follow the marea and be dirt cheap,thats when to buy one:)

fiat says its a new class of car.across between a MPV and an estate.it doesn't do either very well.what gets me,is prototypes were seen with a boot and a hatch aka vectra.so why not these models?:rolleyes:

I'll stick by what I say in thats it's a decent car,remember I look at it from a tech's point of view...I have not interest in style (a.k.a. my clothing:eek: ) and don't care about reviews.It's been long know reviewers get showered with 'sweetners' to give car good review (obviously Fiat run out of fruit gums!) and what one person thinks the way a car should drive is different from another.
I dont agree with the handbrake comments,any car with a bl**dy armrest is a pain I think & it is aimed at the fleet hire/long distance sales market of which I think it will perform well.

it is an excellent car. i agree, every car that has an armrest is always annoying to use as thay ake things awkward. but the croma is a solidly built, classy car.(y)

The higher spec Vectra's had those armrests and plenty bought them.

And if you look up you will see the Croma is a big Vectra so go figure with the armrest! LOL

Liam

I've just bought a Croma. Lovely to drive with the usual fabulous 1.9 JTD 16v 150 BHP engine, comfy smooth fast & economical. Kids love all the room in the back esp no transmission tunnel, & panormaic roof makes it feel v spacious for them. Boot is 5oo litres so big enough for most of what you'd need.

Obviously it lacks the extra seats & flexibility of an MPV or a 7 seater, I agree armrest is badly positioned

BUT
It is incredibly great value as a second hand or ex-demo car. You simply cannot get a deal this good on any rivals (new Zafira costs £1000s more), and it has loads of goodies and kit as standard. Epsilon platfrom means it handles well enough for a big car, if its good enough for General Motors then its pretty good plus FIAT have tweaked handling.

Also, as its rare people look & stare - they've not seen one before & it looks pretty striking when you're next to it

Thought about Croma befor buying Stilo but prices were still too high. The armrest issue is a bit daft, if it's the same as the Stilo then it folds up! Don't think you can beat it for space in the back without spending a lot more and they do look distinctive, can spot one a mile off in the rear view mirror. As for it been based on the same platform as the GM Vectra, that's ok so long as it hasn't got a GM diesel fitted. With GM using the Fiat diesels just shows where the quality engines are.

Also what's telling is that What Car give it 3 stars in their review yet the owners who buy and live with it give it 4 - 5 stars. Who would you trust, a journalist that jumps into so many cars and may have been given 'sweeteners' as Ti mentioned, or someone who lives with it day in, day out.

Last edited:
I agree with you, most of the owners reviews on What Car give it 4 or 5 stars, and I would too!

Back