Technical fuel filter

Currently reading:
Technical fuel filter

hi guys, I just realized that no mechanic including Fiat, have ever changed a fuel filter on both my dynamic 2004 1.2 8v.
Is there a fuel filter anywhere in the fuel system? If yes please piont me in the right direction as mine are definitely overdue for changing.
thanks and regards to all :)

The fuel filter is built into the fuel pump which is one piece and drops into the fuel tank (accessible under the rear seat when removed). It is not replaceable unless you replace the whole fuel pump, and you won't need to do that unless it ever fails like mines did last year. £140 to get a new Bosch one.

Given that my Panda is 2005 and yours is 2004 yours probably and hopefully won't fail as its not a common part to fail :)

I've been experiencing intermittent engine rough running & I'm sort of suspecting some impurities in the fuel tank.
Is there a cleaner I can use to clear up any existing muck that may have accumulated there?
I've tried to look online but have not been able to source a suitable product, if in fact one does exist.
Would appreciate any input, incidentally HT coils tested & plugs have been changed. Have also used a slick50 fuel treatment with a full tank of petrol ~ but fault persists, albeit much reduced now.

I'm sort of suspecting some impurities in the fuel tank.

If (and it's a big if) you have impurities in your fuel tank, then there's no substitute for flushing it out properly, removing it if necessary. Personally I'd want to be sure this really is the cause before resorting to this.

That said, it's certainly a possibility - modern fuels containing ethanol are much more likely to sludge up the fuel system.

Sludged up injectors are at least as likely a cause; you could try running through another bottle of fuel system cleaner. For maximum effect, run the tank down to the last ten litres or so, put the whole lot in and then wait until it's almost empty before refuelling.

Think you might be barking up the wrong tree personally.
Do you have any warning lights on?
Check the coolant and air temp readings with diagnostics.
Check your exhaust emissions, lambda sensor ?
Is your coolant level ok ? Heater still blowing warm air.?
If you still think it's impurities in the fuel, remove the pump and inspect inside the tank. If you find impurities then you will need to clean out the injectors too, they have a small metal gauze where the fuel enters the injector, tip it upside down and tap the debris out on a tissue. Give it blast of brake cleaner to help shift any bits stuck.

I did get the check engine light on yesterday but after using the car today it went out ~ the engine has been ok since yesterday. Incidentally, this happened exactly a year ago and one treatment with slick 50 seemed to solve the problem.

oh and incidentally, all fluids are good and temp reads normal like it has always been. I will probably redo the fuel treatment like has been suggested above and see where that goes.

The fuel filter is built into the fuel pump which is one piece and drops into the fuel tank (accessible under the rear seat when removed). It is not replaceable unless you replace the whole fuel pump, and you won't need to do that unless it ever fails like mines did last year. £140 to get a new Bosch one.

Given that my Panda is 2005 and yours is 2004 yours probably and hopefully won't fail as its not a common part to fail :)

Are you sure that just the filter isn't replaceable? One can be bought from here it would seem.

https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-catalog/fuel-filter-10361/fiat/panda/panda-312/56749-1-2-lpg

That's an LPG filter.

Whatever type of fuel is in the tank, surely there should be a replaceable filter within that system too?

Even my motorcycle has a fuel filter that lives inside the petrol tank, personally I think that this is a daft idea, having a fuel filter easily accessible were a better idea, sadly it would seem that most manufacturers now put them inside the tank.:mad:

Maybe the fuel filter on the petrol engine models is sealed/encased within the fuel pump then? Does anyone know for sure??

It seems crazy, why would Fiat design the diesel's one to be replaceable but not the petrol version.:confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0arQ9PABBQ

Maybe the fuel filter on the petrol engine models is sealed/encased within the fuel pump then? Does anyone know for sure??

It seems crazy, why would Fiat design the diesel's one to be replaceable but not the petrol version.:confused:

Diesel fuel filter as designed to capture the water that can often be in diesel just as much as for getting impurities out
Probably why they are easy to access
Also they run massive pressure's on the fuel rail so you need a buffer between the high and low pressure fuel pumps also likely a easy place to mount the filter

Diesel fuel filter as designed to capture the water that can often be in diesel just as much as for getting impurities out
Probably why they are easy to access
Also they run massive pressure's on the fuel rail so you need a buffer between the high and low pressure fuel pumps also likely a easy place to mount the filter

Good point about the water aspect.:)

I'm still in the dark about whether or not the petrol versions actually have replaceable fuel filters.

Good point about the water aspect.:)

I'm still in the dark about whether or not the petrol versions actually have replaceable fuel filters.

My bike has the same type of in-tank fuel pump as used in most petrol cars. It's complete with big metal ring to remove the pump access cover. The filter is built into the that access cover with pump motor hanging below. To date I've had three pumps all working happily with the original filter.

Filtro%20panda.png

Well I don't know what's going on here, this site shows a fuel filter on any petrol engine version I choose,...but the picture suggests that it's somewhere in the engine bay.:confused:

https://fiat.7zap.com/en/gin/33/319128001000-012/102/25+10225-010+2-0/#1
That diagram is for the later Panda 312. This is the Panda 169 section.

No; that is the EVAP canister.

As has already been said, there is no routinely replaceable fuel filter on the petrol panda 169.

Last edited:
Back