Technical New Selespeed clutch release bearing failed

Currently reading:
Technical New Selespeed clutch release bearing failed

Had a new three piece clutch fitted to the selespeed this week. When the mechanic started the engine, it appears the clutch slave cylinder failed. (resevoir draining fast, fluid from the bellhousing) He has not had the time to strip it all down again but we are a bit stumped as to what might have occurred. The possibilities seem to be:
1) Wrong cylinder supplied. Maybe careful measurement comparisons with the old unit would confirm/exclude this.
2) Clutch centre plate fitted the wrong way round. The guy is an experienced mechanic and although we all make mistakes it seems unlikely. Can be proven easily once stripped down again.
3) Faulty new cylinder. It happens but would be unusual I imagine.
4) Some procedure is required with MultiEcuscan before system is activated. Maybe pushrod clearance or something?

I read somewhere that the cylinder will almost certainly fail if it goes to maximum travel under full system pressure (40 bar plus), and the prevailing feeling is somehow this has happened. :(

Anyone have any experience/thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

EDIT: The next step we were about to undertake was to connect MultiEcuscan and bleed the actuating system, then calibrate.

Last edited:
I've had similar happen to me before. Ex main dealer indie replacing the clutch on my Alfa 156 Sport, assembled it all, was about to put the box in place when the bear up gave in, completely fell to bits brand new out the box. delayed me by a day getting my car back as had to wait for replacement.

So here we are, still no further forward on account of the mechanic being on holiday! (well we all need a holiday)

Wednesday the box comes back out and we will know for sure what has happened. Meantime, is there any info anyone can impart about fitting the new clutch to a Selespeed? I was under the impression you fitted the new release cylinder, filled up the reservoir with cs fluid, switch on and connect up a laptop to bleed the system with MultiEcuscan. Am I right? The mechanic is having the tremors which is spilling his tequila... :D

So here we are, still no further forward on account of the mechanic being on holiday! (well we all need a holiday)

Wednesday the box comes back out and we will know for sure what has happened. Meantime, is there any info anyone can impart about fitting the new clutch to a Selespeed? I was under the impression you fitted the new release cylinder, filled up the reservoir with cs fluid, switch on and connect up a laptop to bleed the system with MultiEcuscan. Am I right? The mechanic is having the tremors which is spilling his tequila... :D
You are right. Bleeding is simple procedure. Just press a button on laptop.
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-guides/423752-selespeed-clutch-replacement.html

Today the second brand new clutch slave cylinder was fitted.

Followed the instructions exactly as listed in the link above. Clutch bled fine, the EOM sequence went through like a charm. Switched off, switched on again, started the engine. Reconnected MES, 1st 2nd and reverse all selectable. Looking good, left on idle for a couple of minutes, when I got back in to try and move it, couldn't select any gears....

Pulling up the error code page I saw: Selespeed pump failed reading 'high' 'fatal' at the same moment as the mechanic said 'woah. switchoff!' and yep... here we are again, cs fluid pouring out of the bell housing exactly like last time. :bang: Well this cylinder lasted several minutes longer than the last one.

Now have no idea what is causing this. We still have the old unit (which was working fine) so I said next time the box comes out, fit that back. Meanwhile I'm off to order more cs fluid and hope the pump isn't broken from running with no fluid in the system. :mad:

That's possible I guess...but where is the sensor that tells the pump that...would it have been disturbed / disconnected to change the clutch?

Finally sorted. The problem was the Clutch pressure plate not seated properly. Glad to have the car back on the road at last.

I'd sack your mechanic off, you NEVER start an engine after a clutch change without operating the clutch a few times before starting the engine, the big clue that this hasn't been done is the howl it makes as it shreds the release bearing/CFC, I hope that all who read this have learned something, there's no magic to selespeeds, just a complete lack of training amongst the UK dealer network.

Back