Off Topic punto twin air clutch problems

Currently reading:
Off Topic punto twin air clutch problems

pleck

mY Punto recently had a full service at approx 32000 miles. I am halfway through a journey from the uk to and from Italy and I seem to be having problems with my clutch.
I am having trouble going through the gears and the clutch seems to be over revving in first gear especially, there is also a smell of burning but only in first gear.
I have the return journey to complete in a day or two but will not be going over the Alps on the way back. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can better nurse the car back home.

mY Punto recently had a full service at approx 32000 miles. I am halfway through a journey from the uk to and from Italy and I seem to be having problems with my clutch.
I am having trouble going through the gears and the clutch seems to be over revving in first gear especially, there is also a smell of burning but only in first gear.
I have the return journey to complete in a day or two but will not be going over the Alps on the way back. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can better nurse the car back home.

Hi, :)

it's a 6-speed manual I guess..??

get the level of clutch fluid checked;)

once the engine is warm,
use the "clutch-switch" to let the engine revs slowly rise - mine goes to @1200 rpm , and the car will pull away with the minimum of fuss, (y)

then avoid HARD acceleration, or lugging in taller gears,
these put large TORQUE through the clutch..

if it gets BAD use your breakdown policy.. it'll save you a LOT on fuel / toll charges:D

charlie - 2012 Punto Twinair

Last edited:
thanks for your help charlie.
Is checking the fluid something I can do myself?
Being in Italy and not speaking the language could make it difficult to get anything done at a garage especially seeing I only have today to sort it out.
I have full rac european breakdown cover do you think its worth while me ringing them to see what they suggest or just drive back carefully and see what happens?

thanks for your help charlie.
Is checking the fluid something I can do myself?
Being in Italy and not speaking the language could make it difficult to get anything done at a garage especially seeing I only have today to sort it out.
I have full rac european breakdown cover do you think its worth while me ringing them to see what they suggest or just drive back carefully and see what happens?

There should be a small white pot. Containing DOT4 Brake fluid..that operates the clutch.

Try the clutch switch to gauge the ideal revs..for future reference..

RAC.. start your drive..avoid stop/start driving where possible..

If it gets HOT..SMELLY..

PULL OVER..in a safe place/town

So you can wait a while if necessary... and give the RAC callcentre a try.

Our engines have a Dual Mass Flywheel.
so if its broken..youll be better shopping around for parts at home..

Boun Journee..!!
Charlie

P.s.
clutch : frizione
brakes : freni
Dot 4 : olio dei freni/olio di frizione

Liquido freni DOT4

Or words to that effect..!!

Last edited:
FYI - pleck

location of fluid reservoir:)
20160729_142817.jpg

20160729_142805.jpg

strangely when I googled - Punto TA ,

there were SOME pics of it near the battery..??:confused:

could be it's just worn-out (the clutch plate)
but oil contamination is a possibility.., :(

any real investigation work is probably best left to your preferred UK garage.. unless your breakdown is parts and labour.( and covers accommodation..)

Charlie

Thanks for your suggestions Charlie.
I'm pretty sure though that the photo you posted was of the brake fluid bottle.
I've no option but to try and coax it back, fingers crossed. hopefully I can get it to the uk at least.

No Problem,
I'm sure you'll be fine,
just take it easy..,
once rolling , the load on the clutch isn't vast

(there are 3 x tubes on the fluid reservoir,
not uncommon for the clutch to draw down to @50% ,
and the brakes the bottom bit..

so IF your clutch dumps it's fluid , you'll still have brakes)

Hi Charlie.

Thanks for your help.
Firstly I thought you may like to know that I did manage to get her home.
Planned what I believed to be an eco route to avoid as many hills as I could.
didn't take into account that the approach to the Mont Blanc tunnel had such a steep incline to reach it , and with a long queue moving off in first so often at such an acute angle really tested my clutch.
Also , my apologies for being such a knob in not recognising where I should have checked the fluid, ( panic affecting my common sense I suppose).
Now back in the uk I have taken it to a number of mechanics and more or less every one has a different opinion on what the problem could be. It seems to be getting a little better but nowhere like it was before I took it abroad.
Thanks again for your help.
Mario.

Hi Charlie.

Thanks for your help.
Firstly I thought you may like to know that I did manage to get her home.
Planned what I believed to be an eco route to avoid as many hills as I could.
didn't take into account that the approach to the Mont Blanc tunnel had such a steep incline to reach it , and with a long queue moving off in first so often at such an acute angle really tested my clutch.
Also , my apologies for being such a knob in not recognising where I should have checked the fluid, ( panic affecting my common sense I suppose).
Now back in the uk I have taken it to a number of mechanics and more or less every one has a different opinion on what the problem could be. It seems to be getting a little better but nowhere like it was before I took it abroad.
Thanks again for your help.
Mario.

Hi Mario, no problem,

and glad you got back o.k.,

these mechanics - have any of them actually pulled a twinair apart before..??:confused:

they are a little "different";)

Charlie

Back