General New User, New Car and Some Questions :)

Currently reading:
General New User, New Car and Some Questions :)

indycube

Hi everyone,

I’ve just joined the forum.

Thought I’d introduce myself (and my car).

A few weeks ago I picked up a Punto 60s 97’ as my first car :)

Now, get out the pitchforks if you want chaps, but when I first bought the car I didn’t really think anything about it. For me it was just a way to get me to my new job and back. Around 70 miles a day round trip (roughly just under 30k for the year). As it is only a year long contract – I was just looking for something cheap and cheerful to get me there.

However, you’ll be pleased to hear that after driving it around for a bit, I’ve really fallen for the little barstad and I’m having a brilliant time with it.

Picked it up from the local garage. Previous owner was a man named Mr Giuseppe who sadly developed Alzheimer’s and so could no longer drive the car. It’s ‘only’ done 55k, and apart from a few niggles it’s in great condition for its age.

I’ve had the timing belt and the water pump replaced to be on the safe side.
(After getting the old belt off the fibres were beginning to show – glad I got it done really).

I’ve also changed out the rear speakers as sadly one of the original ones had a small rip in it.

I’m planning on keeping the original stereo – I think its cool.

As some of you here will know the 60s is rather sparse in terms of creature comforts but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love the ‘feel’ of the car – it’s the beauty of old things really.

Not sure if all the 60s ‘s have a sun roof but mine does (not electric of course!) which I think is very cool!

Anyway enough of me rambling on.

There’s a few things I’d like to get sorted with the car and that’s

1. Get the rubber door seals replaced/fixed – Forgive the noob question but are these easy to get hold of? Is it worth changing them – there’s no water getting in at the moment.
2. Address the paint peeling problem. Any suggestions?

3. Get some new fiat badges :)

Is there anything else you would recommend I look over?

Forgot to say I’ve got some car mats on the way so that should help protect the carpet a bit.

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers

Attachments

• 13725039_10208822515994455_7621743699234998084_o.jpg
    13725039_10208822515994455_7621743699234998084_o.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20160628_104520.jpg
    IMG_20160628_104520.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20160716_200134.jpg
    IMG_20160716_200134.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20160716_200206.jpg
    IMG_20160716_200206.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160716_200242.jpg
    IMG_20160716_200242.jpg
    870.6 KB · Views: 49
Hi, nice wee car.

If the sunroof is a tilt/ slide factory roof, it was a factory option on the car when new so the original owner has specced it up.
The peeling lacquer is a paint job unfortunately.
If i remember correctly the door rubbers just pull off and push on so easily changed- sourcing them may be a different story.

Replacement badges are really available on ebay

overall looks to be a decent mk1 you found there, shame about the lacquer peel but its seems part of the course for all the metallic painted mk1s now. you can try fix this yourself, it prob won't be perfect but would stop it getting worse - check out vids on youtube is always a good way but essentially you need to sand it back a little bit with high grade wet&dry and then apply fresh clearcoat - its super hard to make it look really good up close but its doable to get it looking better from a distance. Really though its do a whole panel or preferably the whole car. So expensive unless you have a mate who does car painting.

As said, have a good look around for the dreaded rot, always best sorted sooner rather than later, particularly if its just surface stuff that can be cleaned of and sealed.

Door seals, as said, easy to swap but perhaps hard to source, depends how much it annoys you really - probably source some less degraded ones 2nd hand without too much hassle.

what you should do...? Well i guess that depends on what history its got. I'd lean towards just giving the old girl a good service. A good coolant flush as it should be swapped every 2 years really and tends to get ignored for much longer so check what the coolant looks like. On the same line of thought, fresh oil and filter is never a bad thing if you don't know how old it is. And a new air filter is just a few quid and couple of mins to change. The fuel filter is generally never changed despite being a service item and again is cheap cheap. Just general maintenance stuff to make sure its all tip top is where you should start basically, grab a haynes and look at all the service intervals - you will notice they are all by mileage or age so alot of stuff will want at least checking despite the low miles on the car ;)

Apart from that, do what you like - its your car so don't let people tell you that you are doing it wrong. General consensus here will be to just to leave it as fiat intended which is what i would do but you know if you want lows or fancy wheels or tinted windows etc just go for it, most stuff can be undone so just have fun and enjoy the car ;)

And lastly, welcome to FF!! :wave:

Back