Technical Punto POP red battery light....battery is charging.

Currently reading:
Technical Punto POP red battery light....battery is charging.

Eireannbaker

Hi guys
Bought a 2013 Fiat punto pop about a month ago. Service history had an issue linked to an alternator problem but it was replaced with new.

Had an insurance technician at the car and when he turned it on the red battery light came on and didnt turn off as it should. He checked and said the battery is charging.

I was driving it yesterday and just remembered that at first it wouldn't let me turn on....ie the key was locked in position and would not turn any direction. I took the key out and tried again a couple of times and then it worked. There was a slight hesitancy but it turned on and no problems...until this light today.

Any ideas on what the light problem is and would it be linked to what happened yesterday?

Just tried it again. Again the key would not turn for me for a few minutes of trying. Its like it's the wrong key but then it suddenly works fine. The red battery light hasn't shown this time

Just tried it again. Again the key would not turn for me for a few minutes of trying. Its like it's the wrong key but then it suddenly works fine. The red battery light hasn't shown this time

Hi, and welcome, :)
what year is your punto,

the key or lock could well be worn.. have you got 2 x keys..and what COLOUR are they..??, :confused:
Charlie - Oxford

If it's not the steering wheel lock, then it's an issue with the key or it's switch, maybe the key is worn as Mr. Charlie said, if you have another key then try it too, maybe you are using a wrong, non original bad replica key

As for the battery sign on the dashboard as a normal situation it should lit only during the key position on (before starting the engine) then after starting the engine it should turn off by now, so If the technician is 100% sure that the alternator is fine and the battery too, then maybe it's a non serious problem a false indication or something which is still irritating and making anyone nervous, I'm not sure how the dashboard lights work, so if I were you, I should have them checked especially as you said it lights randomly sometimes on and some other times not

Back in the past, I remember that I had a similar issue, I can't recall exactly if it was the hand brake or battery sign or even another sign, but the most important thing I still remember is that the sign was hesitating or shivering (turning on then turning off and so on) and kept on doing this but now it's all okay, I had my alternator changed for another from a scrap car back in the past too, but I can't remember the time, and whether if the issue was solved after the alternator or before, Now personally I think they are related

Last edited:
Back