Technical AC stopped working?

Currently reading:
Technical AC stopped working?

Hi, recently my AC just died on me for no reason and I'd really like to get it fixed asap! :cry:

Since it doesn't usually get that hot in the UK I rarely need to use AC but recently it has become unbearably hot in the car and rolling down the windows really doesn't help. The other day it felt like the AC was working albeit a little badly, I could feel slightly cold air. Then it stopped working completely. I assumed this was down to a low gas pressure or something. I got the pressure of the gas checked and there are no problems, no leaks detected. When you turn on the AC you can hear a click from the engine bay, the compressor I think. However after that nothing happens, I don't think that the compressor is working. You can hear a slight hiss under the sound of the fans when you turn on the AC and fans so am I right in assuming that the gas is flowing around the circuit correctly.

Anyway, does anyone know how I can determine if it is the compressor that's screwed and can I replace it with a compressor from another model of Stilo?

I saw some on fleabay, would they fit my stilo? (Mine's a 1.4 Active AC, 05 stilo)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had no blower and the auto function was not working. I plugged it in to Fiat Multi ECU scan and I got the following 2 codes:
B1922 signal low
B1929 Blower fan RPM problem check motor RPM sensor & associated circuits & power supply. Reason for the fault is the ECU has had a low signal from the sensor.

I cleared these fault codes and it worked well for 2 days. Now the air con has stopped blowing cold, so I plugged in again and got only code B1927 = Anomaly on the pollution sensor, check the sensor & circuit for shorts ECU recieved a very high signal from the sensor.

Anybody any ideas on this as I would like my air con to work ? Thx David

Its also worth trying this below, I did and I seem to now have cold air cond air at least coming out of the passenger side vents, which is also very odd !
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the self learn procedure for the climate control. May help.

CLIMATE CONTROL SELF-LEARNING PROCEDURE

The AUTO and MONO buttons must be pressed simultaneously within 40 seconds of the ignition being turned to the ON position in order to active this procedure.

A few seconds later a figure will appear on the display (in place of the driver's side set temperature) which will count down to indicate the time remaining before the start of the procedure. At the same time (i.e. whilst the count down is taking place) the previous self-learning status is signalled on the passenger temperature setting:

'1' flashes if the previous self-learning procedure failed.
'0' indicates that the previous self-learning procedure was successful.

This procedure is not carried out if at least one of the above mentioned buttons is released whilst the figure on the left hand side is not zero (this is designed to check the outcome of the previous self-learning procedure).

Exiting the procedure zeroes the 40 second counting period from when the ignition is switched ON, to allow the procedure to be repeated without having to switch the ignition OFF.

Each time a new control unit is fitted, the flap actuator learning test must be carried out using the diagnostic equipment and the unit must be personalized through programming.

You need to plug it in to the paid for version of ECU Scan & go into the climate control/air con section to see what the fault is via the codes.

Hmm, I guess it's a trip to the garage then :bang: I don't have the software nor do I have the necessary cables to communicate with the ECU.

That method you suggested to try, seems like it is for Stilos with the automatic climate control unit which I don't have. Mine just has the simple button with the snowflake on it below the heater/fan controls. Many thanks though!

Usually if the AC stops it's due to low pressure in the system, i.e. needs r-gas (unless it's leaked) or the pressure switch has gone belly up and needs replacing.

It's also an outside / remote possibility being fiat that if the external air temp sensor isn't working then it'll stop the AC from turning on too - the AC shouldn't work below about 5 deg C to stop it from freezing up.

First and simplest check is to see if it's still holding pressure. If it's all leaked out you have your answer.

Back