Technical Knock from L/H suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Knock from L/H suspension

Windyj

I know this has probably been done to death so apologies for dragging it up again. I have a knocking on the left front when going over rough uneven road surfaces and pot holes etc. So far have changed drop links and top mounts and it still does it. Anyone have any other ideas car has done 50,000m could it be the shock absorber?

Thanks

Rule out simple things loose items in car /under bonnet like battery spare wheel, whilst I'm tempted to say control arms also look for other possible causes, our old car made noises going ovr speed humps which was the shockers our 500 made a Really bad rubber squishy noise over humps changed both control arms and all quiet ( if you do them do both not one then the other like I did ) I'm also replacing the shocks springs and drop links soon after my issues replacing the totally rusted brake hubs one of those quick jobs that's turned into days!
Grab hold of the wheel and give it a good rock at the top too to check the ball joint

Last edited:
Well it is the left control arm the rear bush is shot in fact it's that bad moving the arm up and down at that point the rubber nearly came out of the arm! picking up 2 new arms to tomorrow. The look like they are the hardest bit to change as well!

Here's the link Pathaleon found; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331869439927?clk_rvr_id=1044192937126&rmvSB=true

The title says 08-16 but the list of cars is 11-16 so check with the seller if correct for yours, also I note the left arm has threaded bolt holes in it which my arms( for a 59 plate ) did not, so not sure what they are for, again questioning their compatibility?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
also I note the left arm has threaded bolt holes in it which my arms( for a 59 plate ) did not, so not sure what they are for

Possibly for attaching the levelling sensor on cars fitted with HID's?

Take a look also at the other stuff he's been selling.

There's something about this one that just doesn't feel right (seems too good to be true; usually that means it is), but I can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:
Here's the link Pathaleon found; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331869439927?clk_rvr_id=1044192937126&rmvSB=true

The title says 08-16 but the list of cars is 11-16 so check with the seller if correct for yours, also I note the left arm has threaded bolt holes in it which my arms( for a 59 plate ) did not, so not sure what they are for, again questioning their compatibility?

Arms arrived this morning and all appears to be well.

The sender is Euro Car Parts in Scunthorpe. However, I don't recall ECP ever stocking genuine parts. Normally if they are genuine the logos etc are scratched off.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Juat a post to maybe help others, mine had a knocking coming from the left front over speed humps and other road lumps, the dealer had it in for a couple of days and found it to be the bottom arm, they have replaced it, I'm picking the car up tonight so I'll keep people updated as to wether it is fixed.
SG Petch of York are the dealer i bought it from and up to now they have been excellent.

Last edited:
hi chaps! after changing almost every part of my suspension and everything has been perfect have now developed a knock when turning right! it sounds like its coming from the front left.
only really happens when im turning at speed!? only thing that has not been touched are the track rods
I did what JR suggested my mum moving wheel while I watched all seemed ok! now im not so sure!:eek:

do we think track arms? what else can I check apart from the obvious ...

only really happens when im turning

In days past a knock that happens only when turning would make me think of a worn outer CV joint. This used to be very common on the BL transverse engine cars (old mini, ADO16 etc), but you don't get these failing much nowadays. The last one I've had to change was on my old Renault 5 (and that was after at least 150,000 miles). The giveaway is that the knock frequency is speed dependent; sometimes you can feel the play in the joint if you hold the driveshaft firmly and try to wiggle it about.

On a 500, my first thought would still be suspension (because it's known to be weak and lots of folks report problems with it), but I wouldn't rule out the CV joint. Check the gaiters first; if one is split, then this becomes much more likely.

Last edited:
In days past a knock that happens only when turning would make me think of a worn outer CV joint. This used to be very common on the BL transverse engine cars (old mini, ADO16 etc), but you don't get these failing much nowadays. The last one I've had to change was on my old Renault 5 (and that was after at least 150,000 miles). The giveaway is that the knock frequency is speed dependent; sometimes you can feel the play in the joint if you hold the driveshaft firmly and try to wiggle it about.

On a 500, my first thought would still be suspension (because it's known to be weak and lots of folks report problems with it), but I wouldn't rule out the CV joint. Check the gaiters first; if one is split, then this becomes much more likely.
Will do I’ll get in there this afternoon and have a look I’ll also take some pics I’m not sure if the bushes are in a good way it’s hard to tell! What is the CV ? I’m still learning .....

Attachments

• CV.jpg
    CV.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Had a look nothing appears to be split gaiters seem to be fine too no noticeable splits ect?

Attachments

• 637A59F6-ADCC-46A6-9826-F1C4BA17B0DD.jpeg
    637A59F6-ADCC-46A6-9826-F1C4BA17B0DD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 7A2AF0FA-6B85-4BB6-A02D-94457A9B41BA.jpeg
    7A2AF0FA-6B85-4BB6-A02D-94457A9B41BA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • BF35656E-BEE8-4BA9-9B72-11C9B201443D.jpeg
    BF35656E-BEE8-4BA9-9B72-11C9B201443D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 19F99619-6ED8-47DB-B7CF-2A4F2728D185.jpeg
    19F99619-6ED8-47DB-B7CF-2A4F2728D185.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
In a quiet car park put full right lock on and drive in a circle is there a "click click clivk" noise? If not it's probably not the cv joint. You can also try full left lock too. Don't rule out the drop links, one of mine lasted only a year.
Will do later on when it’s gone quieter will update after!

Back