500 Fiat 500 lounge engine warning light and stop/start warning light have come on

Currently reading:
500 Fiat 500 lounge engine warning light and stop/start warning light have come on

hannahlauramc

Morning All,
When I turned my engine on this morning I got an amber engine light and amber stop/start light come on on my dashboard.....what does this mean?

I had to drive my car to work and it drove perfectly fine, does anyone have any idea what could have caused these warning lights to come on please?

many thanks
Hannah

Morning All,
When I turned my engine on this morning I got an amber engine light and amber stop/start light come on on my dashboard.....what does this mean?

I had to drive my car to work and it drove perfectly fine, does anyone have any idea what could have caused these warning lights to come on please?

many thanks
Hannah

Hello and welcome to the forum.

When the warning lights come on, a fault code is generally stored in the car's body computer. A mechanic with a fault code reader can interrogate this computer to get further information on the reason the warning light was triggered.

It could be something a simple as a weak battery, but the only way to find out why the light has illuminated is to read the fault code. It could also be a sign of something more serious; in some cases, continuing to drive with the warning light illuminated may cause further damage.

It's impossible to guess what's wrong just from sitting at a keyboard (though it may not be long before someone tries).

There are, however, a couple of things the DIY inclined might do before proceeding further - here are my suggestions:

Disconnect the battery, and charge it fully whilst disconnected. If this fixes the problem temporarily but it returns, consider replacing the battery.

While the battery is disconnected, check the integrity of the hatch wiring. It's a very common fault, and wiring loom failure may make diagnostics unreliable or even dangerous. If there is any doubt about the integrity of this wiring, get it fixed before proceeding further.

Last edited:
Back