Lacquer peel

Currently reading:
Lacquer peel

Gerrard (2004 Stilo, not the legendary Liverpool footballer) has a bit of lacquer peel - looks like previous re-spray rather than OE, since the peeling bit is Tiziano red, while the OE bits are Tomiato red.. :D

Has anyone sanded down/rubbing compounded their peely lacquer and re-coated it?

I might take the beast to a SMART repairer since I doubt aerosol cans and me will improve on the peeling... but just curious if anyone has managed to repair this type of problem.

Ralf S.

hi mate if you got lacquer peel rubbing compound aint gonna work it needs to be sanded smoothe and re painted and re lacquerd as soon as body work shows the base coat under the lacquer its a repaint hope this helps

I've repaired a dodgy patch on my front bumper and sprayed the area with red primer (undercoat for the Tiziano red).

Once I sprayed Tiz. over the primer, is it best to flat it back and then apply the clear (lacquer) coat..? Or leave it "rough" (as it comes out of the spray can) and apply the clear coat onto the untouched surface?

Ralf S.

Apply clear coat onto fresh untouched paint.
Really you should wet sand the whole bumper b4 putting clear coat back on but that's only if you have a very good colour match.
If not then you need to sand the whole bumper fresh paint all the bumper and then your clear coat.

Last edited:
Ta! I'll give it a go. That was my preferred option anyway, since where I have a spot of lacquer peel, the paint underneath looks un-flatted.

And I guess if you flat the paint back, the clear coat will be less likely to adhere than to a "rough" surface.

The whole bumper does need doing (it's very Tomato rather than Tiziano) but if I can get the hang of it using spray cans, then that will encourage me to get hold of a proper gun and materials and do it myself... There's a lot of tiny stone marks that need to be smoothed out first.

Ralf S.

Back