Technical Ignition Switch Electricial Starting Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition Switch Electricial Starting Problem

Jasper Happensprat

I have previously removed the ignition barrel due to a locked steering wheel. That was a while back. About a month ago my 2006 JTD Ducato would not start. The Instrument lights come on and I was able to fully rotate the key through all positions.

Initially I suspected the starter motor and or solenoid. I did the usual fault tracing. To my surprise I ended back at the Ignition Key Switch. I was able to remove the plastic electrical connector that fits into the underside of the barrel. I turned the plastic wheel underneath the electrical connector to the crank position, and to my surprise the engine started. Thus it would appear that I have an electrical connector fault. However to check that the fault was not in the ignition barrel switch, I moved the gear one notch over. That action did enable me to start the engine with the key, but I promptly removed the electrical connector plugs, as the starter motor was still cranking with the engine going.

So what to do? It appears that I am unable to buy just the electrical connector. I think that my barrel mechanism is ok. But it look's like I may have to replace the whole ignition barrel switch and change the key barrel. The cost of a ignition barrel switch here in Australia is over $300. I did order a replacement barrel from Hong Kong a month ago, but alas as is not uncommon for eBay, it was never delivered. So I am thinking that I only need to jump the crank wires in the electrical connector. A suitably rated make/break push switch should suffice. Anyone else have any other bright ideas?

thanks jasper

Last edited:
If you are the only driver, a simple 10A push button will do fine. You could even hide it somewhere to get additional theft protection.
When the ignition key switch in my boat burned out because of salt and moisture I replaced it with a unit for a Massey Ferguson tractor, at the time available for $25 on Ebay.

Yes the pin was a bit sloppy corral, anyway I had a bit of luck for a change, the new replacement ignition key barrel actually turn up today. So I just swapped the key barrels and fitted the new switch. All good now.

If any Aussies are reading this, fiat dealers in OZ want $311 for the replacement ignition key barrel but they have to be sourced from Italy. I got one from Hong Kong for $43 and that included postage, albeit it took a month to get here.

Thanks again
jasper

I just degrease and stick the pin back in with stud lock no issues.

Back