Technical aircon vs non aircon alternator shell switching

Currently reading:
Technical aircon vs non aircon alternator shell switching

aircon vs non aircon alternator shell switching

so i got a bad aircon alternator from 1.2 8v and no spares and like 3 working ones from 8v car without aircon

my plan

take two alternators apart, and take shell from aircon alternator and put it to a working one and solder everything back together
i know there is a little amp difference between the two
are inside parts same?

The inside bits are likely to be similar and fit easily. However, as you said, the aircon alternator has a higher output. If the lower output was sufficient, Fiat would have used it on the aircon models. So despite having a working alternator, you may have problems keeping the battery fully charged.

There are frequent threads on here about electric power steering failing, most usual cause is low battery voltage. The aircon pump requires a fat current to hold its electromagnetic clutch when pumping, and the rad fan will operate more, so you have a higher electrical demand.

A lower output is better than none, but keep an eye on the battery state. Might need to place on a trickle charger some nights.

This guy has some good "how to" guides on rebuilding alternators and also sells the bits on eBay. IIRC he gives pointers about which bits are likely to have failed.

There isn't much to go wrong in an alternator- bearings, slip ring, brushes, regulator (usually combined with brushes) and rectifier (sometimes called diodes or diode pack). There's a fair chance that the brush/regulator pack is the same and they are usually easy to change (even in situ in some cases) so that would be a good place to start.

just got a mk2 punto with aircon and surprisingly alternator is different, its 60amp, one belt goes from alternator to aircon compressor and another belt from aircon to crank pulley, also alternator is mounted above aircon compressor, on my other mk2 it only got 1 belt and alternator is mounted below aircon and is 70amp, strange

are these earlier aircon puntos or woot?

difference

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160524_121633_HDR.jpg
    20160524_121633_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 148
  • 20160524_121047_HDR.jpg
    20160524_121047_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 151
Back