Technical Panda Multijat Code P0180 Fuel Temperature Sensor

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Multijat Code P0180 Fuel Temperature Sensor

Deniyzen

Ok, so after replacing glow plugs, battery, fuel filter and silliconing that screw by the wipers above the air box my car did start and actually move in the rain but still is not always keen on keeping moving, also the damn engine light was on and off all the time.

Took it to someone with a decent diagnostic machine tonight and it's coming up with the above code an that is now the only code. Should this solve my cloud of white smoke and moody car in the rain lol.

What is it I'm actually looking to buy? Is it an Engine Management Temperature Sensor? Also, is it a big job, how long should labour time be for it?

Thank in advance you wonderful people :)

It's showing a fault code related to the fuel temp sensor showing an open circuit.

Most sensors use a supply voltage (usually 5v) and as the voltage passes through the sensor, it's altered depending on what the sensor is doing.
Then the altered voltage is returned to the ECU and the ECU then knows what to do with that particular reading.

So a completely closed circuit would return 5v (or very close) and an completely open circuit 0v.

These fuel sensors usually report around 3.5v when the engine is at operating temp, but yours is detecting 0v.

This sensor is usually in the tank or on the fuel filter housing (my bet) or in the injection pump.

It's main use is to detect cold fuel returning from the injectors and loop this cold fuel back to the pump, this aids cold running, but once the fuel is hot it will return it back to the tank.

This you can imagine accounts for the intermittent nature of the EML, only after the engine is warm and gone through a few "drive cycles" does it realise the sensor isn't reporting what it should. Then resets it's self again when the ignition is turned off and the engine cools.

It may also use the fuel temp sensor to alter injector bandwidth slightly, cold fuel is slower, so it may alter it's injection timings/ammounts to account.

They aren't too well known for giving issues themselves and the 0v open circuit makes me think it's more likely a wiring harness/plug issue.
Water ingress in a connector or wires chaffing are the first things to check.

When looking for a wiring fault, it worth remembering to check the live feed and return continuity and also they'll be an earth wire in there too that needs checking.

In regards to the white smoke, I don't think the fuel temp sensor would contribute to this in any serious way, not until the engine and fuel is hot.

White smoke in a diesel is unburnt fuel, it could be over fueling due to the sensor, but I presume if it was due to the fuel temp sensor, it would only do this once the engine is warmed up and the fuel is hot (but the sensor/ECU doesn't know that)

From cold, when the sensor would report very little anyway, I would gather it would run ok.

Last edited:
Great reply from Goudrons.

Just one addition, bearing in mind your recent problems with water leaking through your scuttle screw.
White 'smoke' could also be caused by water getting into the combustion chambers. If your air filter is still wet, this may be a possible cause - as would a head gasket that leaks coolant internally. Unfortunately with the Multijet in the Panda, if the filter has soaked up water due to the above, the integrity of the head gasket could be compromised.

These possibilities are very remote, and unlikely in your case, but I just mention them as worth a look if Goudrons advice does not help you solve your problem.

To reach the top of the fuel tank, there are some bolts holding the base of the rear seats in, then there is a round plastic cover to prise off and the electrical plug for the fuel pump, fuel gauge and possibly the temperature sensor is exposed. The plug will have a locking tab of some sort, the object of this exercise is to unplug, spray with WD40 and replace, there's just a chance of a poor electrical connection. At the top of this page is ePER, a list of parts which might help, also it's worth getting a Panda manual on CD, try eBay, and Haynes do one, 5558 a book.

Don't think the injectors can leak off anywhere other than back to the tank on the panda mj. IIR The the HP pump, filter, fuel rail and injectors all leak off back to the tank and I don't think u saw a loop back from injectors to pump.

Replaced my pump a couple of weeks ago and it has 1 inlet, 1 leakoff and 1 pipe to the rail.

Italian design seems to incorporate fuel heating to aid flow of cold diesel. Think it's something to do with no winter derv in Italy. Don't think we really need it in the UK.

So I'd guess the fuel temp sensor is for the in filter heater element. Can't remember if the fuel temp sensor is in the filter too. It's not on the HP pump in the engine bay as there are no electrical connection to it.

Check the plug that goes to the fuel filter since you've been there.

Last edited:
Ahh found it on e-learn...

K081 is the fuel temp sensor, K031 WIF sensor

temp sensor.jpg

I've just looked at my fuel filter, it has an orange electrical connector at the top with 4 wires, enough for fuel temperature sensor and water in fuel sensor's which may be combined in one unit. Worth unplugging and giving the WD40 treatment.

A bit more homework, and I have found that the fuel temperature sensor the fuel heater and the water sensor are all part of the fuel filter assembly. On eBay at £78.49 from
290754258491, a genuine oem part including the element. Of course, there's no way to tell if this would cure the problem. As it is readily accessable, it should be easy to fit, with quick detachable hose connections.

Why not first remove the connections, spray them with electrical contact spray, and reconnect. Check all the wires for chafing. Clear the codes and see if that fixes the problem.
It's the simplest way forward and costs almost nothing.
Start looking elsewhere if that does not work. There's no point in throwing new parts at the car in blind hope, when you haven't yet pinpointed the exact cause. The water separator is very rarely at fault.

Excellent info..had these 2 sensors in my MJ stored faults..

Looks like I need to pop the bonnet. And get some contact cleaner.

In my GP , MJ
there appears to be only hoses at the TOP , and an electrical plug/socket at the bottom of the filter canister.. great place for moisture ingress.., (n)

the plug is well hidden , anybody got links to pics of it.. so I know what tab to press etc..to release it, ( it does look like it has @4 wires/ cables)

I don't really want to unclamp the whole assembly , and pivot it if not necessary,
thanks,
Charlie

In my GP , MJ
there appears to be only hoses at the TOP , and an electrical plug/socket at the bottom of the filter canister.. great place for moisture ingress.., (n)

the plug is well hidden , anybody got links to pics of it.. so I know what tab to press etc..to release it, ( it does look like it has @4 wires/ cables)

I don't really want to unclamp the whole assembly , and pivot it if not necessary,
thanks,
Charlie

got it off in the end,
it's a more conventional FIAT clip.., with a black clip locking the plug into the socket.. prise the clip away and wriggle/pull..

sprayed the clea loking contacts,
ans drove for another week,
EML stayed on,
all 3 codes are back..
glowplugs and water in fuel can clear.. but to P0180 only goes off for 5 seconds with MES .. then straight back on..

it's a ZERO VOLTS error:( so wiggling wiring will commence.

interestingly - tried my VS600 - found NO FAULTS...:eek:

Back