Technical Power Steering Fault 1.9 Diesel 2008, after jump start

Currently reading:
Technical Power Steering Fault 1.9 Diesel 2008, after jump start

Henry89

Hi all,

I've got a Bravo 1.9 Diesel 2008 with the steering fault light on.

I gave someone a jump start with leads the other day, afterwards the warning light came on and I now have no powered steering.

When I disconnected the jump leads and I noticed the power steering light was on so I turned my engine off but when I tried to start it up again the car was completely dead. I looked at my battery and noticed the negative side wasn't connected properly to the battery (the clip that goes into the eclectics and onto the battery was a little wobbly). I tightened the clip up and the car started however I had no power steering. I've checked the fuse and it's fine & I've just took it to my local garage.

The mechanic has booked it in for the end of the week, however he did put the car on his diagnostic machine, albeit briefly, from memory I hazard a guess that the fault code was D1702, however I'm not 100%. He said it's likely that the steering wheel isn't connecting with the ECM... I'm not sure what is the implications of this, any thoughts?

With best wishes,

Henry

ALSO:

New battery in December.

Last edited:
My battery went flat in Dec, 15 - jump started the car with someone's help and found that after the jump re-start there was no power in the power steering. Since the battery was dead, thought I should first change the battery, changed it but still no power. Switching off the car and on again would bring back the power, but it would go again since PS electric motor was not getting the required volts to work properly. Eventually, we found that alternator was faulty, and was not giving the 14V+ volts back to the terminal required to charge the battery plus run the electrics of the car. Got Alternator changed, fitted new battery, and no issue since. Just sharing my experience. I still do not not understand to this day that what caused Alternator to fail!

Hi Henry89, did you solve this problem as I have done the exact same thing today and now don't have power steering?

Many thanks

Mark C

Back