General Using Classic 500 in Winter?

Currently reading:
General Using Classic 500 in Winter?

Lupin The III

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you classic fiat 500 owners would dare take your cars out during the winter. Up here in Canada we can get cold winters a bit of snow here and there. Would you think snow and road salt would be too much of a deterrent to keep your cars indoors? And if not what would you do to combat the elements?

-Lupin

It's a subject close to my heart
We get some pretty cold weather here in the Scottish Highlands and if we get a real drop of snow I will be venturing out, but not very far. The trouble with the UK is that our winter weather is more often is just "dirty", ie. gloomy, damp and depressing. So there's no fun driving around worrying about the long term damage caused to your car.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you classic fiat 500 owners would dare take your cars out during the winter. Up here in Canada we can get cold winters a bit of snow here and there. Would you think snow and road salt would be too much of a deterrent to keep your cars indoors? And if not what would you do to combat the elements?

-Lupin

What weight oil do you use? I'm here in NY and we get cold temps as well (although not lately). I'm concerned more about the oil being too thick with the cold temps. I won't take any of my cars (toys) out when there is snow, ice, salt on the roads though.

What weight oil do you use? I'm here in NY and we get cold temps as well (although not lately). I'm concerned more about the oil being too thick with the cold temps. I won't take any of my cars (toys) out when there is snow, ice, salt on the roads though.

Well where I live the weather/temps are on par with NY; I would imagine we would use similarly weighted oil. But I guess the thing eating me the most would be rust. Is it worth it to rust proof a classic 500? Or it it just better to garage it and use another car for the harsher weather? BTW Do you guys feel the rain and the cold are still days would drive, or is it only sunshine? Hows the 500 fair in rain; is it watertight?
Sorry for all the questions... :)

-Lupin

Last edited:
I drive in all weather, including rain. If you have resealed the seams of the body and wax injected, I think it OK to drive in all weather. Just make sure it gets parked under cover in bad weather. The trouble or benefit is that you then have to keep taking it out so that everything gets shaken and blown dry. About to do that myself posting Christmas cards.

Attachments

• Mooloolaba Beach.jpg
    Mooloolaba Beach.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 521
Back