Technical New clutch slave cylinder

Currently reading:
Technical New clutch slave cylinder

thesheep

Does anyone know how long it would normally take to change the clutch slave cylinder on a Fiat Panda 100HP?

Mine packed in (completely unable to select gear) so I booked it in and towed it into the local garage.

They've had it 2 days already now, and it won't be ready until tomorrow. They seem to be saying that something went wrong, and a pipe split and they're not able to give me any costs yet.

I think part of the time they've had it is probably waiting for parts to be delivered, but I'm slightly nervous that it's going to be quite expensive—anyone got any prices for comparison?

Earlier this year I replaced the master and slave cylinders on the Panda, but this is a 1.2 engine. The slave is on top of the gearbox on mine, requiring the battery to be removed, then the battery carrier, which involves unclipping various cables, etc., that are attached. The whole job, both cylinders, including bleeding took about 2 hours.

The 1.4 engine obviously takes up more space, but this shouldn't cause much of an issue with accessing the clutch slave (unless anyone else knows different?).

The replacement slave includes its supply pipe. This attaches to the gearbox and joins to the pipe from the master cylinder. The connections are push-in with an 'O'-ring, held in by a tiny clip. If they've damaged the pipe to the slave, they could always use the old one.

When you collect it, be sure to ask lots of questions to get a detailed breakdown of the work done, and why it was necessary. Ask to see all replaced parts. If failure is due to damage during fitting, it is their responsibility, not yours. Unless of course, a split pips was actually the cause of the breakdown, not the slave cylinder. But let them tell you that without prompting from you.

Sadly, OE parts are expensive, but the slave from Euro is less than £20. I got a master cylinder from Ebay, about £50, if I remember correctly.

yep, they gone about it the wrong way

there is a quick coupling that nearly always corrodes and difficult or impossible to undo

even if the new part come with the quick coupling and its pipe, its normally easier and safer to just take it off, replace just the slave and bleed the system

about 10 minutes. Doing it this way and the part is cheap as chips. Around £20

They are now going to repair a pipe they damaged add an hour or two with more parts to order adding to the delay and cost

too late now, but for others

if the new part comes like this

and the quick connector is corroded

undo at the Blue arrow and bin the red part

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 68
Back