Technical Rear light connectors (fog light relocation)

Currently reading:
Technical Rear light connectors (fog light relocation)

Tortilla

Hi all,

Here's an unusual one for your interest, amusement and hopefully advice :) :

I registered my 2001 JTD ELX onto Spanish plates back in 2010. The technical inspection here meant new headlights (for dipping the other direction), but no mention of adapting the single rear fog lamp.

Last week, 5 tests later, they seem to have cracked down and failed the car. Technically, there should either be one on the (UK) pax side, one one each side or one slap bang in the middle of the rear (makes sense).

I could do a quick bolt-on of an after-market trailer fog light, but instead have a nice breakers light from a Subaru, for a permanent flush-fit into the centre of the rear bumper plastic.

Now then,...wiring. Electrics not my strong point, but I'm having a go.

Posted elsewhere on the Fiat Forum I found the following guide to wires on the multi-connector, and that seems to tally with what I can see (second pic. attached).

" RED/BLK Brake
YELLOW/RED o/s lamp RH Tail
BLUE o/s lamp Right Flasher
BLUE/BLK Left flasher
GREY/RED Fog Light
YELLOW/BLK LH Tail "

My questions are:

Does anyone know what the second, two-prong, connector is next the the block of five (first pic.) ?

Though I can't see 100%, it looks like this connects to the fog lamp...maybe it's a take off for a second fog / trailer cluster or something?

If it is, maybe I could remove the fog bulb from the cluster, hook the new light up to one of these (plus earth) and be sorted?

I've tried a couple of combinations of connecting the new lamp to one or other of these extra prongs (plus earthing to the body). Problem is, my fiddling has resulted in three blown 20amp fuses already this afternoon, including the spare and one robbed from the horn circuit! :mad:

Any guidance appreciated, thanks! :worship:

Jon

Attachments

• Rear light connectors - driver's side.jpg
    Rear light connectors - driver's side.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Rear light multi-connector.jpg
    Rear light multi-connector.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Get a RHD right rear lamp,cut the fog lamp wire to the left,and feed it to the right side,(with length of wire)and cut the reverse feed wire to the right reverse lamp.

Thanks for the reply, but I already had a 5 euro lamp from breakers.

This evening I had another go, and went for the simple option: removing fog lamp bulb holder, and attaching wires to the contacts in the cluster. Ran wires through boot sill, out through one bumper plastic bolt hole (bolt removed of course!), drilled discreet hole through bumper and pulled wires through behind. Relief, - it all works as it should. Tomorrow, will cut out for new centre fog lamp and fix all together.

Will post a pic. of the finished job at some point soon.

By the way, the spare pair of contacts do power up and earth the fog, but at the expense of removing power from the other lamps in the cluster. Can only assume these are related to towing configuration.

Jon

Back