Technical Twin Air Air Filter Box

Currently reading:
Technical Twin Air Air Filter Box

Mick F

Happy Chappy
What is the huge TA air filter box actually for?
It takes up quite a bit of space under the bonnet. Does it fulfill a particular requirement?

Why isn't there a simple filter unit connected straight onto the turbo inlet?

KN do some filters that connect onto inlets.
This one for instance. Seems so simple.
http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=RC-9410

Thanks,
Mick.

Attachments

• TA Air Filter.jpg
    TA Air Filter.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 180
  • TA Air Inlet.jpg
    TA Air Inlet.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 148
And it's partly there for esthetic reasons. Personally I prefer to see the engine, but most people seem to prefer black plastic...

Mick, you are lucky to have the old version with red and silver accents; the current version is completely black.
eek.gif

What is the huge TA air filter box actually for?

It takes up quite a bit of space under the bonnet. Does it fulfill a particular requirement?

Why isn't there a simple filter unit connected straight onto the turbo inlet?

KN do some filters that connect onto inlets.

This one for instance. Seems so simple.

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=RC-9410

Thanks,

Mick.

Hey Mick
A bit off topic but can you check something for me, in the photo I can see your Ecu behind the battery, the left cable has a ribbon label on it clearly visible, can you check if it says Euro 6 or Euro 5 on it? Mine says Euro 6 but is a much later car - just interested to know if there was ever a Euro 5 TA. Thanks

just interested to know if there was ever a Euro 5 TA.
Yes, there was. My 2011 TA85 was a Euro 5 engine. I can't remember exactly when, but I think Euro 6 was introduced in 2013 or 2014.

Hey Mick
A bit off topic but can you check something for me, in the photo I can see your Ecu behind the battery, the left cable has a ribbon label on it clearly visible, can you check if it says Euro 6 or Euro 5 on it? Mine says Euro 6 but is a much later car - just interested to know if there was ever a Euro 5 TA. Thanks
Sorry, forgot about this question, but I've taken off the label as it was difficult to see it in its entirety.

I'll replace the label later.

What all this means on the label, I don't know though the car was brand new in Sept 2011. Maybe someone could interpret the info.

Thanks,
Mick.

Attachments

• ECU Label.jpg
    ECU Label.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 70
Sorry, forgot about this question, but I've taken off the label as it was difficult to see it in its entirety.

I'll replace the label later.

What all this means on the label, I don't know though the car was brand new in Sept 2011. Maybe someone could interpret the info.

Thanks,
Mick.

Thanks Mick, I think it means Yazak checked your car!! On my label it clearly says Euro 6, maybe the original Euro 5 had no reference on it.

I think it means Yazak checked your car!!
:)
I wonder if the 04/11/2010 is the date of the manufacture of the ECU, and the date 13/05/2011 is the date it was installed?

C339 could be the production line number and all the other bits are serial numbers etc.

As for Yasak, Google Translate detects it as Turkish!

Cheers,
Mick.

:)
I wonder if the 04/11/2010 is the date of the manufacture of the ECU, and the date 13/05/2011 is the date it was installed?

C339 could be the production line number and all the other bits are serial numbers etc.

As for Yasak, Google Translate detects it as Turkish!

Cheers,
Mick.

Euro 6 was introduced in Jan 14 in the TA, my car was built week 51 of 2013 and delivered to me week 4 of 2014 so there was always a doubt whether it was Euro 5 or 6 particularly when it came to the correct oil.......another long story! After seeing the label on the ECU I then presumed it was 6 so I was just interested to see what older cars were. Thanks for checking.

Any road up, anyone come up with the reason the air filter box is so big?

Options so far are:
Sound deadening
Looks good

Maybe both?

What about replacing the whole unit it with a KN filter like I linked?
Has anyone done this?

When our air filter needs replacing - it's fine and clean even at 18,500miles - so I'm not replacing it yet - I may fit one of these:
http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2981
........ but the whole unit is huge so it may have to go and be replaced by a simple KN cone filter.

Regards,
Mick.

Any road up, anyone come up with the reason the air filter box is so big?

Options so far are:
Sound deadening
Looks good

Maybe both?

I would say both:
The whole engine, including the whole intake tract and the exhaust is an precisely tuned system.

In the intake system we have a specified air resistance defined by filter surface and material. Additionally it is a balanced resonant system.

If you replace it, you change the whole system.

The filter housing is part of the engine sound insulation as already mentioned, including the under-bonnet cover.

It is also a mechanical protection for the ignition system and looks nice.

Lars

I wonder why?
Surely the KN filter just fits in the same box and passes the induction air just as easily as the Fiat one?

The benefit of the KN filter is that it's re-useable.
Not that it makes much of a difference. The original one in ours is 18,500miles "old" and is clean. When I looked at it, I fitted it the other way round because there was a dark-ish patch where the inlet was. I reckon it'll be fine for another 10,000miles.

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=...Turbo%5FTwinAir%5FAir%5FFilter&cat=Air_Filter
At £17 for an air filter that lasts (say) 30,000miles as opposed to a KN filter that will last the life of the car for £50 .........................it's a close call. :)

Regards,
Mick

I wonder why?
The constructions and the materials are different. The FIAT filter is a combination of two different filter layers. One layer is a traditional (paper?) filter; the other layer is a foam filter. The K&N filter is a cotton filter though.

Back