Technical Scary Brake issue !!

Currently reading:
Technical Scary Brake issue !!

Mageo

Hi Guys and girls, during a trip yesterday I encountered a problem with my recently fitted brakes ( about 3 months ago ) the front offside calliper lost it upper bolt due to the thread stripping completely and the bottom one was just about to do the same ( see pic attached ) the calliper was then rubbing on the inner wheel and gave an alarming graunching noise when braking, so my Q is has anyone else ever experienced this problem and if so what was the findings ?

I hate to think if this had happened during my trip to Spa at the end of the month for the Spa Italia going into Eue Rouge at 90MPH
Mageo

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
It is a picture of the thread that we need, not the wheel !!
Who did the job ?? Under or Over torqued !! Probably the latter.
Geoff F.

I would be asking some very pertinent questions regarding the competence or otherwise of the monkey that did the brakes. I suspect an absence of loctite, over / under tightening and possibly crossed threads.

I spoke with my local Abarth dealer yesterday and the told me that the torque should be set at 27 to 33 nm so I am now going to use this to see what the fitting centre says as its all looking like a bad fitting situation, thanks for the reply chaps.
Mageo

Ha.Ha. The very nice picture of the wheel does not show why the bolts came out however a picture of the bolts will tell the whole story.
The serious problem is what is the condition of the female threads. Do not just replace the bolts.
Geoff F.

Geoff, the bolts are pretty stripped and the threads in the carrier are also stripped that's why the upper bolt flew out whilst I was driving and the bottom one was pretty bare as well, however I did notice that the fitter had to use considerable force to undo the bottoms bolt. I have ordered a new carrier from Fiat at £240 plus £2.50 for new boots and then I will take the car to my local Abarth Center for them to do a final check before I head off to Spa at the end of the month.
Mageo

PS I will take a pic when I get the car back next week

Mageo

I know as I watched the guy struggle to loosen the bottom bolt !
Not rocket science ?
Mageo

Mageo

That's why I plan to take it to the Abarth dealer to be checked and if I need new components all around a big bill will be heading towards the Center that fitted them. The worn parts are going to be sent back for analysis so that will be interesting.
Mageo

Mageo

Have you spoken to the original fitting garage? You should advise them of the failure and your intended course of action. They may wish to view the failed parts, before they are disturbed or replaced. If you just hit them with a bill after the repair they'll just tell you to get stuffed. Any legal action against them is unlikely to succeed if you've not given them fair opportunity to rectify any mistake. You can't spend "their" money without their permission.

Back