Technical starting issues

Currently reading:
Technical starting issues

2hnds

hi everyone....it is nice to have other's opinions ....i welcome anyone to shout out..i have been having starting issues with my 2012 500 POP..i leave it at the airport parking lot for up to 3 months at a time..when i return to the car (i already installed a master cut-off switch, so it has a fully charged battery) it wont start..it turns over, but makes a sound as if there is no compression..after about 4 attempts to get it running( maybe each start cycle will last about 4 or 5 seconds) i end up having the lot attendant help me push start it and pop the clutch...not much fun in 100+heat here in Phoenix...I was told it might be an oil pressure issue for the cams, but nobody at Fiat at my dealership or at the Detroit facility can offer me anything of value..this has been an ongoing issue for 3 years now and NOBODY can help me..they just say i should have bought a different car!!!HELP

Sounds like a weird problem especially due too it being a newish car. All I can think it could be is the engine is seizing. Usually when a car is left for 3 months you should dry store it otherwise this is the problem you can have.

In 3 months all the oil would off drained to the sump and will take a good cranking over for it to start. Fiat usually recommends that if the car does not start within 20 seconds to stop and try again after the starter motor has cooled.

As you said the car is stood for 3 months try cranking it for 20 seconds too allow oil pressure to build up if this does not work try adding alittle oil in the head so it has lubrication to get started just remember don't over fill the oil.

I would also recommend changing your oil more often so it does not go bad.

So in short try cranking the car over longer 5 secs is just not enough for it to get oil pressure. Crank it for 20 seconds should build pressure enough to get it started. If not add alittle oil to help things get moving but don't over fit.

I hope this helps.

thanks much for your thoughts....the dealership mentioned to me that while i am cranking the engine, the fuel is pumping and i will have a chance of flooding the engine.......thats why i was limiting the cranking to about 4 or 5 seconds....they also said to carry an extra set of plugs in case they floodand are too wet for starting..but i am in my business suit after i return from my trips and really dont want to have to do all that with such a new car, hahaha.....

Who ever told you that should be shot. Fiat recommends 20 seconds at the most per crank my fiat stilo takes 10 seconds before it starts but if its stood for a week or two it takes longer, 5 second would just flood the cylinders before it fires up. Think about it.

The cylinders has too do 4 strokes per fire, and if its stood for a while it also needs to get oil pressure as well. As all the oil would off drained too the sump. Try cranking it for 20 seconds it should start first time if not the second. If that does not work give it alittle help too get things moving with alittle oil.

Let me know if it works. Fiat make very reliable engines so the chances are its just not getting enough time to fire up.

And I don't blame you with your suit no one should have too carry spark plugs every time they leave there car. The only thing that might differ between being used daily and left for a while is you may hear tapping once its fired don't be alarmed its just till the oil pressure is up. The only thing you should have too do is when the car is left for a while give it a good long drive just too get the oil nice and hot so it does not get any gunk in it otherwise you may have what looks like a headgasket failure when intact its just condensation. If it does start the cream up on the cap change the oil and you will be fine.

Hope it helps and don't forget to let me know if I have helped.

Back