Technical Mot fail or not?

Currently reading:
Technical Mot fail or not?

Wow, very long time since I've been here, used to have a multipla but now a brava after a gap with a s****y ford :(

I have rescued the brava from a barn, there is rust but nothing in the major places, just replaceable parts that are rusted.

My question, the first of many as I need to get through the mot over next few months is, there is a rubber bush or spacer in the pic on the rear of the car that is perished on both sides, what does it do? What is it called? And is it an mot failure? If so what do I need to replace to get it through? If it's not to expensive I will replace it anyway, silly question maybe but I have to ask as I know you glorious fiat forum members will help me :)

Thanks.

This is the part.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
Hi Sean

Good luck with the project, seems to be reasonable proposition...

You are talking about the rear subframe bushes... these are a problem area on the Tipo-derived cars (Coupe, Marea, Brava/Bravo, Multipla...) and used to cause a lot of cars to be scrapped because they were not available as spares.

It MAY be a fail depending on the tester, in any case they will get worse not better with time.. Also if they've gone you will get banging and crashing from the rear end.

The good news is they are now available aftermarket, either from Borg&Beck or Firstline but I think they may actually be the same... (?)

Anyway I made a summary of availability on Ebay as a first port of call...

Subframe bushes

Supplier Maker P/N Cost
Rear YBCarsUK Borg & Beck BSM2029 20.38
DoctorCarParts FirstLine FSM2029 24.99

Front YBCarsUK Borg & Beck BSM2026 20.31
DoctorCarParts FirstLine FSM2026 24.99

I think you'll have to drop the exhaust and whole subframe, swap out the bushes (with a press??) and clean up the subframe. I suspect the rears decay the worst but if you're doing the job it's probably worth changing all four.

Hopefully it's worth the effort, I'm considering doing mine (2001 Brava).

John

Thanks John,

I will have a look for these later on eBay,

Subframe off good clean up then some new bushes it is.

Thank you very much

Shaun

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
So the ones for the rear subframe rears naturally are the ones for the job. But the cheaper ones are marked as engine mounts?? Will they fit the rear subframe?

Ooooh keep us informed on the mot please!

Good luck :)

front end; the wishbone I swapped was worthwhile, :)
just have play in track rod end, and Droplinks,

REAR ; perishing shock mount bushes..BUT the rear arms are o.k.(y)

oh, and the patches on sills were "tacked" - now have to be continuous weld.,
but worth getting a bit better now for another 12 months, ;)

must admit it actually hustles along quite well on decent surfaces(y)

need to investigate engine / g-box mounts though, as the gear lever swings if you "play" the throttle(n)

at @£50 EACH..!! I'm going to get "inventive":idea:

Charlie

Back