Technical Fiat Panda Classic Light bulb list

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Panda Classic Light bulb list

I have seen it a few times where someone has used the wrong fitting light bulb in the panda classic. i write this in hope that it will be of use to someone in the future. This bulb list is based on the mk2 Panda (1984-2003) however my guess would be that the bulbs are the same in the mk1.

All bulbs for this car are 12v.

"P45" or "R2" fitting bulb for the main headlamp. NOT a H4! (unless you have a Seat Marbella.. they use H4 bulbs.)
"BA9s" 4 watt for the pilot/side light bulb.
"BAY 15d" 5/21 Watts dual filament staggered pins for the brake and tail light bulb.
"BA 15d" 21 Watts single filament non coloured for ALL corner indicators, reverse light and fog lights.
"40mm Festoon" bulb 7 Watts for the number plate lighting and the interior courtesy light.
"T10" wedge bulb 5 Watts for the side/wing indicators AND the battery warning light in the dashboard.
"T5" Wedge bulb 1.2 Watts for ALL OTHER dash indication/warning lights, speedo illumination, switches illumination*, blower fan control illumination*,
clock illumination*, even the cigarette lighter*. *model specific.

i think that's all of them.. let me know if i have missed any.

a note on dash bulbs in most older Fiats. in some cars you have to replace the bulb and socket, but with these kinds if you "pull" the glass part of the bulb away from the socket it will come out. here is two pictures of the larger T10 bulb and the smaller T5 bulb and sockets:

Most of these bulbs can be changed for LED types however please do read the following:

so LEDs.. they consume less power as they are lower wattage (which saves more fuel/better MPG), often brighter than the original filament bulb, and supposedly live longer if you buy good quality bulb replacements. oh and you can also get them in different colours.. and auto colour change!

All of the internal bulbs bar the "Battery warning lamp" in the instrument cluster can be changed to anything (colour, brightness.. anything!). legally. so long as there is no light coming out of your car that is distracting to other road users, you should be fine. however it would be at your own risk. the only reason why you can not change the battery light bulb is because the alternator needs it to excite (or kick start) it to start producing power. in short, replacing this with an LED will cause your alternator to stop working. you "Could" make an LED and solder a resistor across it to get the same resistance the original bulb has, then try it. that may work. you can also try a "Canbus error free" LED bulb in it as they have a little load resistor that fools modern cars into thinking the bulb has not blown (Due to LEDs consuming far less power, the modern car's computer detects them as "blown bulbs". something us classic Panda people don't have to worry about ;)).

Externally, changing bulbs to LED is at the vehicle keepers own risk. UK laws state that original vehicle lighting should never be altered from the original specification.. or so i have been told. i have also been told that so long as the bulb is "E" marked, it is fine to be used on your vehicle.

if you do plan to go all out and start playing with vehicle lighting colours be sure to check up with your local laws! As said, any modification you do is at your own risk.

i hope this helps some one out in the future!

Last edited:
Just changed with LED ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1435166899.675655.jpg

Great guide thanks man!!

Sent from my iPhone using FIAT Forum

most LEDs start to strobe when they fail..

i would keep spare in the car.. i have a full bulb set in mine stored behind the engine bay sound proofing.. along with a spare clutch cable and 10mm spanner so i can change it out and about... and cam belt... and alternator belt.. with the tools needed to change them with.. ;)

Dragon
I was wondering if an H4 set will be much better...
I changed the original R2 with Phillips R2 +30% and I must admit the difference is minimal. I was also thinking of adding the fog light grill with H3 and connect it to the main beam switch

Number plate and courtesy interior
4 Cm

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1436772264.443586.jpg

I started reading and it was quite interesting... But in real world I doubt it can be "unlawful" having some number plate lights that are not original fitment.
We for sure try to use more advanced technology like the LED bulb
I changed mine with led and I think it should be ok for the Italian police?

These are the ones my dad bought for our panda's interior light. They are like mini suns!

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SWRXLJK"]Seawhisper 2 x White 9 NEW 5630 SMD LED ERROR FREE CANBUS 239 272 C5W NUMBER PLATE BULB 38/39mm: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418hHyKcR5L.@@AMEPARAM@@418hHyKcR5L[/ame]

We also fitted one in @Most Easterly Pandas Panda too :)

Last edited:
Will an H4 upgrade from R2 make a worthy difference?
I found the Phillips R2 +30% not much brighter
Any advise on H4 bulbs?
Cheers

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hello, does anyone know if fitting LED's to the indicators would cause them to flash really fast and if so what would the fix be?

thanks, Lewis :slayer:

Most of the DI systems use 'load' sensing flasher units to detect faulty bulb and indicate that by giving twice as higher flash rate ( 60-90fpm, 1-1,5Hz) as indicated in ECE Regulation.
As led bulb wattage is much smaller compare to P21W bulb as you said the flash frequency will change. There are devices called 'smart load' as an option or just look for led bulb replacement with build in 'ballast resistor'. Bare in mind that light distribution from led replacement type bulb is completely different and both front and rear DI lenses/ optical systems were design to work with filament p21W bulb, so brand new branded ( GE, Osram) bulb might still look better that cheap Chinese led equivalent. Not to mention potential MOT issues, insurance claims refusal.

Last edited:
hi,

Will there be a problem if I change some of the T5 bulbs to 2W instead of 1.2W?

Back