General 1.3 or 1.6 500l

Currently reading:
General 1.3 or 1.6 500l

Hi, I've seen two a 500l's I like (both 63 reg). One is a black with white roof and the other is white with black roof both with 17k miles. I know the 1.3 is a good engine but what's the 1.6 like? My dad has a 1.3 engine an says its great and loves the car. They are more less the same minus £500 (£9495 - £9995) and the engines being different (both lounge trim).

I currently have a 1.4 gp dyamic sport (only had it a year but its 6 years old)

Thanks in advance,

Neil

I have a 500L in Lounge trim with the 1.6 engine and am very happy with it.

There's enough grunt to haul around our family of three plus luggage; most of the time however I'm in there on my own doing a 60 mile round trip commute every day and it's obviously well up to the job.

I'm getting a (genuine, measured) mid 50s mpg and RFL is only £30. I honestly doubt that the 1.3 would do much better, if at all, as the engine will have to work that bit harder.

Thanks, don't mind it working that bit harder than the 1.6. Just wondering what 1.6 is like has I go Wales a bit. Don't mind dropping down gears but the 1.6 has more torque and bhp which would help up the hills. So in theory that would help going up hills.

Are the 1.6 noisy, has read they can be?

Last edited:
I have the 1.3D auto. On long journeys I average 60 mpg plenty of grunt going up hills, but I must confess I wanted the 1.6 but on the 500L it does not come with auto! Which I find odd as on the Doblo you can have 1.6D auto 6 speed. So I had the 1.3 not a problem so far and the trekking of cause has everything, got mine from Arnold Clark for £10,500 63 plate 17k

Thanks for the information. I've seen cheaper one (9k) but its got higher mileage (22k) and in red. One I've seen is bicolour (black with white roof) and 17k miles. Seen same car else where in 1.6 diesel but that's from a motor group. The 1.3 is from an independent fiat garage so may cost more but get better deal/service no doubt. 1.3 is 10k and 1.6 is 9.5k

On start up my 1.6 seems quite noisy, same as most diesels, but once on the move I barely notice it. This is my first diesel as I never liked them but have to admit it feels pretty effortless to drive on my commute, and the low running costs have won me over. Other benefits are the elevated driving position, great practicality and excellent visibility; sounds like you are looking for a Lounge spec in which case you will also benefit from the panoramic glass roof.

Overall it's a great car for what it its whatever engine you choose.

Like the trekking/beats edition but cost too much hence why looking at lounge. My dad has got one that's a easy trim and loves it. My partner keeps saying get one lol but only had my gp a year an no issues with it. Wanted a 500l when get that but cheapest then was 12k :-(

If the 1.6 is cheaper I would definitely go for that, providing the rest of the vehicle is in good condition.

The 1.3 copes admirably with the size of the 500L and is quieter and more refined in the cabin than the 1.6, but the 1.6 has a lot more shove and is a well suited engine for the 500L. It'll pull it along with ease, even fully loaded, and I dare say MPG will be similar as the 1.6 will not be working so hard at high speeds or when fully loaded.

Back