Technical Fiat 500 Power Steering Failure

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 Power Steering Failure

admyng

Hi

I've very recently bought a pre-owned Fiat 500, 2008, 1.2, Petrol.

From the day I bought it (privately) the 'Check power steering' light has been on/off illuminated, i.e. sometimes it would illuminate as I start the car and other times it would not.

This did not affect the steering itself until today. I drove to the supermarket and then as I got back in the car and started the engine, I noticed the steering was much heavier than usual.

I've been checking the forum and found posts suggesting battery and/or power steering motor problems. Users have usually suggested this when the light is on/off illuminated but the steering is *not* affected.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

A

Hi

I've very recently bought a pre-owned Fiat 500, 2008, 1.2, Petrol.

From the day I bought it (privately) the 'Check power steering' light has been on/off illuminated, i.e. sometimes it would illuminate as I start the car and other times it would not.

This did not affect the steering itself until today. I drove to the supermarket and then as I got back in the car and started the engine, I noticed the steering was much heavier than usual.

I've been checking the forum and found posts suggesting battery and/or power steering motor problems. Users have usually suggested this when the light is on/off illuminated but the steering is *not* affected.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

A
hey guys another question from my side in case this happens to my car. is it safe to drive a fiat 500 withut any power steering?

My money is still on the battery. I'd bet it can be in a state where it fails the power on test of the power steering unit (hence the light comes on) without affecting the steering and then once it degrades further the power steering is actually affected.

Quite a good piece of design there (y)

Thanks very much for the replies, guys! What zanes is saying certainly makes sense - think I'll go with the battery and look into that. :)

Hi this happened to mine I posted bout it earlier had new pump so now going to check battery as been told that could be the problem only had mine 2 weeks it's a 59 plate x

The simple reality is that modern car batteries have a nasty habit of suddenly dying without a huge amount of warning.

A non-stop/start battery is cheap enough online (c.£50-60) and easy enough to replace at home (two nuts to remove the battery strap, one nut on a terminal clamp, the other clamp being a "quick release" lever) that for vehicles much more than five or six years old it falls into the realms of preventative maintenance to avoid being stranded at some inconvenient time and place when it's dark and pissing with rain. Even if the car isn't throwing small electronic hissy fits. No need to worry about radio codes either on the 500.

No doubt someone will be along in a minute to tell me I'm needlessly scaremongering, but for the cost of a tank and a half of petrol I'd say it's worth doing to avoid arse ache down the road.

Last edited:
The simple reality is that modern car batteries have a nasty habit of suddenly dying without a huge amount of warning.

...for vehicles much more than five or six years old it falls into the realms of preventative maintenance...

Absolutely.

I've thought for some time that there's considerable merit in replacing batteries as a routine maintenance procedure; apart from the risk of electronic glitches, and the risk of an outright failure leaving you stranded, ageing batteries also waste fuel.

Absolutely.

I've thought for some time that there's considerable merit in replacing batteries as a routine maintenance procedure; apart from the risk of electronic glitches, and the risk of an outright failure leaving you stranded, ageing batteries also waste fuel.
i just have a battery test at each service that tells me the state of the battery.

Drove last night and this morning and the warning light came on but steering unaffected.

Will definitely be looking at the battery.

Thanks all! :)

Drove last night and this morning and the warning light came on but steering unaffected.

Will definitely be looking at the battery.

Thanks all! :)
Hi there.i have the same problem with my car. Did
you solve this problem?thanks btw

hey guys another question from my side in case this happens to my car. is it safe to drive a fiat 500 withut any power steering?
The steering is physically connected to the hub, so yes it's safe... but obviously if the power steering is cutting in and out, then it can take you by surprise if you turn it expecting a light steering wheel and instead have to put some beef into it.

Ralf S.

Back