Off Topic Why did they stop making Fiat Punto Evos?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Why did they stop making Fiat Punto Evos?

hmmmm

My dad is looking to buy a newer car (he currently has a Mk3 Punto) and is just wondering why they only made them from 2010-2012.

Is there something wrong with them? Are they worse than the original Grande Punto? Is the 2012- Punto a lot better?

Thanks

If you read any review, the Punto Evo is considered much more reliable. Also you do know that the alleged new punto is no different in terms of exterior or interior? I parked mine next to one and the only difference I could find is that the plastic parts of the bumpers had been colour coded and that's it.

In 2012 fiat wanted to get back to the punto name so they dropped the grande and Evo titles and now just call it the punto the car it's self is more or less just a punto Evo but to be fair grande Evo or just punto they are all the same car with some cosmetic differences, non are anymore reliable or less reliable than the other so I'm not sure where that comes from

The only thing I can think of is they stopped using the T-jet for the turbo models and went for the multi-air I've only driven the multi-air I couldn't tell you what the T-jets like.

In 2012 fiat wanted to get back to the punto name so they dropped the grande and Evo titles and now just call it the punto the car it's self is more or less just a punto Evo but to be fair grande Evo or just punto they are all the same car with some cosmetic differences, non are anymore reliable or less reliable than the other so I'm not sure where that comes from

Bar the numerous tweaks from the original GP

such as

Engine compartment fuse box (which is now waterproof)

seat belt anchors have been altered with load limiting improvements

Start stop added + beefed up alternator/ bigger battery reduces likely hood of common GP voltage issues

Scuttle drains altered to avoid dumping water on the alternator,

Divers knee air bag added,

I believe the sales figures dropped when Fiat launched the Punto Evo because people really liked the front end of the Grande Punto, so Fiat quickly went back to a similar front end design to the Grande Punto, with the 2012 Punto.

Apart from the styling of the Evo not being so popular (I personally liked it) the Punto Evo was quite a big step forward. It had the new MultiAir engines, completely new dashboard which is much nicer quality to the Grande Punto, extra kit such as Blue&Me across the range, and the quality, reliability & safety enhancements Andy Monty mentions :)

The Grande Punto seemed a bit hit & miss for reliability, some cars being good, others being truly dreadful. Reliability seemed to improve gradually on the Grande, so by 2008 they were better. However the Punto Evo seems a step forward in terms of quality. Just reading owner reviews on the likes of AutoTrader show barely any faults, compared to the Grande Punto. As facelifts go, it was a pretty major one. Some manufacturers would've termed it 'All New Punto'! The 2012 is less of a change, but aside from the equipment levels being reduced, it's still as good a car as the Evo underneath, albeit I personally don't like the styling of the 2012 one so much.

Technically based on name

The mk3 punto is the grande punto lost the grande punto and became JUST a punto again

So
mk1 - 1993 - 99
mk2 99 - 03
mk2b 03 - 06

BIG GAP

Mk3 - 2012 Punto

the big gap has the
grande 06 - 10
Punto evo 10 - 12

If you look at parkers
They look at it the same way i do

mk3 been the 2012 Punto
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/fiat/punto/?addRange=Punto+Evo

Suppose you could technically call the Evo and 2012 a MK3B as they are face lift models.

The Grande Punto was sold for many many years along side the mk2b they only stopped production of the mk2b in 2012 which was when they release the new 2013 Punto based on an amalgamation of the Grande and Evo

It also depends how you categorise a facelifted car, for example the mk3 mk4 and mk5 Ford Fiesta are all essentially the same car with the same underpinnings and lashings of cosmetic changes with each incarnation. The same goes for the mk2 Mondeo, that was again a facelifted mk1.

Then take something like the original classic 1970 rangerover they made that for about 25 years without changing the model number or mark but had huge numbers of variation in that time.

Personally classifying the mk2b as a mk3 isn't particularly offensive, I can't seem that you can legitimately call the grande a mark of the Punto as its always the grande. And again with the 2012 new Punto all they did was rebadge the grande/Evo so I don't believe you can call it a Punto mk....

Basically I guess what I'm trying to say is who cares what you call it? Fiat clearly make it up as they go along.

Thanks guys. He ended up getting an Evo and he's happy with it. Personally I prefer the look of the GP also.

By Mk3 I meant the 03-06 Punto, didn't know it was Mk2b

Thanks again

Back