Technical Is TRIPLE QX 5w40 Fully Synth any good?

Currently reading:
Technical Is TRIPLE QX 5w40 Fully Synth any good?

Bellsy

Hi all

I'm about to do an oil change on my 2008 1.4 petrol 500 and have found this oil on carparts4less at £13 ish for 5 litres. Sounds too good to be true. It's fully synthetic and the right spec so will it be OK??

Many thanks in advance.....

Hi all

I'm about to do an oil change on my 2008 1.4 petrol 500 and have found this oil on carparts4less at £13 ish for 5 litres. Sounds too good to be true. It's fully synthetic and the right spec so will it be OK??

Many thanks in advance.....

Is it aeca c3? If yes then no problems at all !

Not sure - I'll check it out. Why's it so important that it's aeca c3?

Just checked - it says:

• Catalyst compatible
  • API SN/CF, ACEA A3, B3, B4
Any ideas???

I've used this oil before in a clio 182, I didn't have any problems and as said above its acea a3 compliant, and fully synthetic (which is the manufacturers recommendation) so yeah it'll be fine.
It's probably made at the same factory as more expensive stuff anyway.

09 Grande Punto Abarth

Stop....take a step back.....A3 or C3?

I don't know what the correct oil spec is for the 1.4, all I know is, the two 500's I've owned, C3 is the compliance. Having looked on the label of the Triple QX, it doesn't appear to be C3 compliant. Check your vehicle handbook. Whatever you do, don't start putting oil in that doesn't meet the correct spec.

It says C3 but having done a bit of research I believe that A3 is good to use as long as it also says that it's suitable for cars with a CAT. Please let me know if that's not the case....

It says C3 but having done a bit of research I believe that A3 is good to use as long as it also says that it's suitable for cars with a CAT. Please let me know if that's not the case....

With the utmost of respect, your handbook states C3 for a reason. See link for Petronas Syntium 3000 AV. If you look closely at the label, you will see it is C3 spec.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petronas-Syntium-3000-AV-5w40-Synthetic-Car-Engine-Oil-4L-VW-502-00-4-Litre-/400931299624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d595e2128

You could try this from Tesco, but read the label on the back just to make sure it meets spec. It says it does in the blurb at the bottom, but check on the product anyway:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-5w40-fully-synthetic-oil-4l/341-6513.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=341-6513

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
listen the truth is you are far out of warranty and your car will be fine on any fully syntetic 5W-40. So if you want it, go for it. My main dealer didn't even use C3 on the first oil change haha!

I agree about Opie oils, I've used them just once myself and got a good oil deal from them. Sometimes though, it's easier to nip down to the local supermarket and if the Tesco oil is indeed correct on spec, then it will be absolutely fine.

Just in case Bellsy is interested in reading some of the much already covered material on oil on this forum, a quick look in the following link even shows that some supermarket branded oils are blended by very well known companies:

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/270091-asda-engine-oil.html

listen the truth is you are far out of warranty and your car will be fine on any fully syntetic 5W-40. So if you want it, go for it. My main dealer didn't even use C3 on the first oil change haha!

ahmett, with much respect, we've all read about your car lol! I've grown to love your advice in a very strange way :devil: Remind me to never buy a car from you :p

ahmett, with much respect, we've all read about your car lol! I've grown to love your advice in a very strange way :devil: Remind me to never buy a car from you :p
haha if i ever come to the UK with my car you can check it out. Let's see how long my Fiat lasts.

I wouldn't laugh if I became a victim of such scam practices, but apparently these are normal in Greece.
they used Agip 5w-40 which only had A3/B3 protection. This was in 2011 though, the new version of the same Agip 5w-40 now has C3 protection = )

I personally use Aral C3 5w-40. 7 Euros a liter.

Attachments

• aral_high_tronic_5w40.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 26
Utterly agree with you.

I'm no expert at all, but I reckon synthetic oils are better than mineral oils at staying clean and keeping their viscosity under pressure. However, any oil of the right viscosity, no matter of what persuasion, is ok temporarily.

I don't want to risk anything but the correct stuff in my 500TA though.

Regards,
Mick.

Back