Tuning Shock absorbers

Currently reading:
Tuning Shock absorbers

AndrewHarvey

Established member
I have a very low front spring. Will I need shorter shocks or will standard suffice?
If uprated ones - which ones please

From what I can remember, when we lowered the 500s at Radbourne Racing we left the standard dampers on (they were brand new in most cases). being that there is a very substantial spring stop, both front and rear, it should mean that the damper won't be contracted any more than it can safely be. 'SPAX' might be a good company to look at--they do 'just dampers' and 'coil-overs' (spring-damper units). They have just brought out 'coil-overs' specifically for the 126, so they should fit the 500.
thumb.gif

Here are the dimensions of the shorter 'sports' shocks for comparison with your current ones...

Compressed - 300mm
Extended - 406mm

Compressed - 275mm
Extended - 335mm

As per hobbler, the standard bump stops are still used. I don't know the condition of my standard shocks compared to a new set, so I can't really compare new to new, but there is noticeably more damping on the 'sport' shocks, so you would assume that they have adjusted valves as well as length.

cheers, Steve

Last edited:
Can anybody help with an "expanded view" of the shock absorber into the stub axle.

My Haynes manual show little.

The threaded body seems too small for the hole in the stub axle - is there a spacer tube that slides over the body?

The dampers are located in the stub-axle 'ledge' the same way that they are located (or should be) elsewhere on the car--by rubbers that have a small locating 'lip', 2 to each damper at each end. The 'lip' part is quite shallow, but as they face each other, by the time the securing nut is done up, the large aperture in the locating orifice is tightly filled with rubber. A very simple method, but surprisingly effective.
confused.gif
slayer.gif

Hi Andrew

Are you now talking about the rubber driveline dampers on the rear axle. If yes, is it no surprise why hobbler thought you were still talking about suspension shock absorbers given context of thread so far?? ;)

cheers, Steve

Hi Tom / Steve
Thanks for you assistance - the help needed is for the front shocks into the stub axle....I have ordered a repair kit for now - fancy new shocks later.....

Are these any use to you Andrew? If not PM me and I can send you full parts catalogue. It's a big file and takes a while to send
Damian

Attachments

• 1431445399448.jpg
    1431445399448.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 1431445411143.jpg
    1431445411143.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 33
Putting suspension together and have a couple of questions for my friends....

The steering rods are not the same at each end - one is longer than the other - which way round please?
There is a dust cover that prevents the thread of the trackrod passing through the steering arm / stub axle - do I trim it back or pull it up and distort / crush it?

None of my information shows the answers....(n)

Attachments

• IMG_6072.JPG
    IMG_6072.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6073.JPG
    IMG_6073.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 39
Andrew
That 'dust cover' looks like a ball joint rubber cover from a N/D series. Your ball joints already have dust covers on them so I don't think you need that one

Hi, for my '2 pennorth'. that dust cover looks like the delivery protector. as in part of the packaging.

Back