Brava Parking light on console stays lit.

Currently reading:
Brava Parking light on console stays lit.

L44

Hi there - just got ownership of a little used V reg Brava 1.6 sx 100 (automatic) previously owned by my 90 year old stepmum.
She often had problems getting it started which we put down to lack of use (short 20 min runs twice a week if lucky) & the battery frequently needing to be recharged.
Being new to automatics, I noticed that the red Park light on the console seems to continuously stays lit (red) after the ignition has been turned off & wasn't sure if this is normal or whether this should go out after a certain length of time ? I've noticed with other automatic cars owned by people I know these lights normally go off after the ignition is turned off.

Could this be why it is losing charge & draining the battery ?

I would be grateful if anyone knows out there in Fiat world !

Thanks

a small bulb at 3watts won't be draining the battery all by itself in less than a week, although if the car os only ever used for very short runs, it could well be compounding the problem. my feeling is that as it's staying on permanently, may be an indication that there is something else going on.

if you have a digital multimeter, check the voltage across the battery terminals, then again with the engine running and, then thrice again with all electrical items running, full beams, blower fan on full, rear window defrost etc etc. and then post results back here; It could well be that the alternator is dying and is not charging the car as it should.

if that works out fine, further down the diagnostic path, is checking current draw across all fuses with ignition off, but we'll get to that later if needs be.

Back