Technical TPMS sensors "not available" has anyone had sensor come on repeatedly?

Currently reading:
Technical TPMS sensors "not available" has anyone had sensor come on repeatedly?

loohoo

In the last month all of a sudden the sensor warning symbol comes on, says "TPMS not available" stays on for a seconds, then starts to flash and goes off.
Dealer said it was from cold weather but it is warm now.

Is it related to the ESC being on or off?

Insight appreciated!

In the last month all of a sudden the sensor warning symbol comes on, says "TPMS not available" stays on for a seconds, then starts to flash and goes off.
Dealer said it was from cold weather but it is warm now.

Is it related to the ESC being on or off?

Insight appreciated!

Stumbled across your posting as a potential 500L buyer (well the other half) and a current Bravo owner. My TPMS sensor triggers from time to time at the same place, I have put it down to radio interference as its exactly the same place I loose radio reception. They use radio frequencies to transmit to the car from the sensor in the valve.

Anyway, I suspect that's not really the cause but it does happen from time to time so its probably nothing to worry about.

I'm sure I remember from a fiat training course I went on, that the 500L doesn't have sensors in the wheels, the tpms is run through the traction control.

I know this is the case on the 500x anyway.

How does that work then. How can it know the pressure of the tyres without pressure sensors on the tyre??

No idea, I'm not technically minded, but I know this is the case with the 500x and the 500.
I'm Sure the trainer said no fiats now use the sensors in the wheels, can remember him saying that they are unreliable and expensive to replace and that's why they run it through the traction control.

This was only a few months ago when I was in Turin at the 500x launch.
( I work in a fiat dealer so get sent to all their training courses)

How does that work then. How can it know the pressure of the tyres without pressure sensors on the tyre??

Systems that detect actual pressures in the tyre are pretty uncommon these days. They more commonly use the ABS/Traction control(ESC) system to detect that one wheel is rotating ever so slightly faster than the others. This of course occurs because as a tyre deflates the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre reduces.

This is what flags the warning, not that actual pressure in the tyre itself.

See above, they don't use actual pressure sensors in the wheels but they use the sensors already there that monitor wheel speed for the ABS/traction control system.

Well you learn something new every day! Cheers!

Back