Technical Where is OBD located on my Barchetta?

Currently reading:
Technical Where is OBD located on my Barchetta?

itaa5x

1997 model, Got the 3 pin to obd2 converter however I'm not able to find where the obd connector is itself on the B .
I found one under the passenger dash, but i read somewhere that it might be just airbag port? I tried connect to it with some bluetooth chinese scanner + the Torque pro app :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321457984558?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

which I tested worked perfectly on my 2 other cars but can't connect to the barchetta,not sure if that plug under the passanger dash is just for airbag or Maybe only my chinese scanner can't connect to it and i should take it to the service for them to try with their much more expensive scanner?

Where else could the OBD 3 pin plug be located at?
It isn't under the hood against the firewall:

dn2bo2.jpg

And this is the one I found under the passenger dash,however not sure if its the correct one since I cant connect through it :(
a31ct2.jpg

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
That yellow one, on the center console side is for the airbag. There's another socket in the same passenger side foot well, but on the door side. You'll find the ECU there, and the OBD socket.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yes, that cable works perfectly with FiatECUscan, both for the ECU and Airbag module. I can't remember if I have tried the ABS module.

http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx this list indicates, that the ELM should work too with the later Hitachi ECU, but nut with the earlier that you have, and I do too.

For the FiatECUscan, you'll need the Serial port to USB driver, and the manually set the latency of that port to minimum 1ms.
I have the driver in my other laptop, so let me know if you need one. I can also help with the setup.

After that it works perfectly. Note, that you need to connect the red and black clamp to your cars + and - terminal, most easily done from the cigarette lighter socket, or straight from the battery with very long clamps.

And btw, even if the cable has the airbag option in the small switch, some modules work with the cable switched to ECU. Try both, it took me a while to figure this out.

Yes, that cable works perfectly with FiatECUscan, both for the ECU and Airbag module. I can't remember if I have tried the ABS module.

http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx this list indicates, that the ELM should work too with the later Hitachi ECU, but nut with the earlier that you have, and I do too.

For the FiatECUscan, you'll need the Serial port to USB driver, and the manually set the latency of that port to minimum 1ms.
I have the driver in my other laptop, so let me know if you need one. I can also help with the setup.

After that it works perfectly. Note, that you need to connect the red and black clamp to your cars + and - terminal, most easily done from the cigarette lighter socket, or straight from the battery with very long clamps.

And btw, even if the cable has the airbag option in the small switch, some modules work with the cable switched to ECU. Try both, it took me a while to figure this out.
Thanks so much for help and ideas ,the driver would be cool :worship:
Now only have to order it and the long waiting begins again until it arrives.

hopefully finally can find out whats up with it exactly
fx2.JPG

Here's the virtual COM port driver I'm using https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0ds8yzpaapg0xt/CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7.exe?dl=0 , this will create an COM port for the FiatECUscan. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Device manager -> Ports and select the COM port that should have appeared after you install the driver.
Select Configure -> Advanced settings and set latency to 1ms.
Now open FiatECUscan, connect cable and search for interfaces, you should find the cable. I can't remember if the cable needs to be connected to the car or not to do this.
Here's the FiatECUscan manual for more detailed info.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcmff94ps68y2ov/FiatECUScan User Guide.pdf?dl=0
Hope this helps.

I'm using FiatECUscan on XP, but it should work fine with Win 7 and Vista too.

Got the cable today and all I can just say is *** U FIAT , can't even make a proper software which works.. let alone can't even include standard obd2 which from that year was mandatory and other manufacturers had it already way before!

Tried installing it on windows 7- Can't connect to ecu says in the FiatEcuScan soft
Anyone knows what the hell is going on why It isnt able to connect?
btw Once I plug in the cable some FT232R USB UART thing appears in device manager-however says that it doesnt have drivers, and It doesnt auto installs drivers for it, tried manually installing driver for it-No success,it doesnt recognizes the driver files as correct ones..
dss.png

Anyone maybe knows what could be the problem?

Tried installing it as well on XP , and I dont even get to the stage where it installs the Com Port...

Soooo frustrated since none of this software crap even works,tried searching in other forums for solution ..nothing.. :( :( :(

Hi itaa5x, don't give up! :)
Did you manage to install the COM driver first? I tried it with my Win 8.1 and it works ok. This: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0ds8yzpaapg0xt/CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7.exe?dl=0
I'm not sure if the Intel SOL thing you have is the same driver as this one?
Install, restart computer and then try to plug in the cable and see what happens - it should open a COM port for you. The FiatEcuScan I'm using is version 3.4.2, PM me if you can't find a copy.

Last edited:
I've found the ECU, but not the connectorplug.

Is it a loose cable, or do I need to disconnect something from the ecu?

Also, my adapter requires posetive + and negative - aswell.
Is there any + cables near the ECU i can tap into, or do i need to draw a cable from the battery?

so many woes with Fiat diagnostics. I have been running with my air bag light on for a year but I refuse to give up. I have downloaded the licence'ed version of Multiecuscan, with some cheap Chinese cables. I was banging:bang: my head against the wall, what a waste of money and time, but have just ordered cables from Gendan, so I'm hopeful they do the job. My B is a 98 built in June of 97. The ECU three pin receiver socket is in the passenger foot well,the air bag socket is behind the drivers seat.:) Just came home from New Market, Ont. 130K, and as always the little sucker purrs like a kitten. Don't give up.:)

so many woes with Fiat diagnostics. I have been running with my air bag light on for a year but I refuse to give up. I have downloaded the licence'ed version of Multiecuscan, with some cheap Chinese cables. I was banging:bang: my head against the wall, what a waste of money and time, but have just ordered cables from Gendan, so I'm hopeful they do the job. My B is a 98 built in June of 97. The ECU three pin receiver socket is in the passenger foot well,the air bag socket is behind the drivers seat.:) Just came home from New Market, Ont. 130K, and as always the little sucker purrs like a kitten. Don't give up.:)

I removed the ecu today to look for the cable, but still can't find it.

My car is a 1996 , and i drive on the right side of the road. So passengerside footwell for me is on the right side of the car
*this is Where the ecu siste aswell

Still no sight of cable after removing ecu and tracing wires.

Only found the Yellow for airbag

PS; For connecting to ABS or airbag on my Alfa Romeo 147 you'll need a "crossed wire"
A regularitet opel won't work.
Pretty sure it's the same on Fiat as MES (MultiEcuScan) mentions it when I Tried to connected to the Barchetta ABS

Last edited:
Hi Alfa2001. I can only relate to you about my experience with my B, built in June of 97. I'm not really that thrilled with the original Fiat schematics, they are not exactly accurate all the time. However in the right footwell on my car is the eobd connection to the Hitachi ECU. Behind the drivers seat is what I believe to be the ABS connector. My airbag connector is up under the dash panel directly under the passenger air bag,very difficult to find. You must remove the plastic panel and lie on your back with a light to see it and then remove it from it's plastic clip. I purchased a vag com KKL409 from Gendan with three pin adapter, version 3.2 from Multiecuscan and made sure my com ports were set correctly. My laptop uses windows 10. Honestly, it took less than five minutes to turn off the air bag light. Don't waste your money on bogus cheap Chinese vag com cables.I bought two and they are useless.

Hi guys, it's been some time since you talked about this, but I thought I would refresh this thread. So, I thought I would connect to my B. to check the lambda voltage (saw a youtube video and somebody did actually connect) as I suspect it going bad without triggering a dashboard warning light.

So, I am using FiatECUScan 3.4.2, got the KKL cable (with the switch), 3 pin converter. My B. is from 95' with the Hitachi MPI and Bosch ABS. COM1 is set to latency of 1ms other than that all standard settings are dialed. The USB driver is the FT232R USB UART. The cable setting is 7 pins (there is option for 3 pins - does not work at all, 1/9 and 12/13 and god only knows what they are for :) )

This a RHD drive car. I have scanned the car for the 3 pin connector:
1) there is nothing in the foot wells of driver/passenger
2) there is a 3 pin plug under each seat but seems to be connecting to the seat belts tensioners in the seat belt sockets in the seats (ppl say unplugging them with battery on gives airbag error)
3) I did not find the airbag plug but did not really look for it
4) there is a plug in the right hand corner next to ABS which I saw some ppl on the internet saying its the ECU plug
5) found strange 4 pin connector under the plastic cover in the middle behind the engine where the relays and ecu sits

Funny thing, for near ABS plug the software only does scan and recognizes it as an ABS of non-recognizable made.

The 4 pin connector has only three pins active and one empty. Obviously it's not a 3 pin plug so I cannot plug and check would have to do some kind of converting with wires and that's something I am not ready to do not knowing which is which.

Here's the pic of what I am plugging to currently and is recognized as ABS by the software:

29d91ud.jpg

Here's the mystical-never-mentioned-on-the-internet 4 pin plug:

dxoims.jpg

Can you please confirm I am connecting to the right plug now? That would mean I have to troubleshoot my computer/driver/cable.

Last edited:
Mine's a '96m LHD and I've got the same unknown 4-pin connector on the bulkhead that nobody seems to know what is.

There's a 3-pin connector that "plugged" in to the plastic on the heater matrix inside the car, only visible if you lie down in the footwell and look under the dash next to the center console.

At least it fits the adaptor, but from what I can remember I never got it to sucsessfully connect to MES

Thanks for the response Alfa2001.

This gets me to think the 4 pin plug is supposed to be for ECU connection. When searching the internet I have found some plugs that look like they could fit that 4 pin socket there, but no adapters or any diagram what the pins are for.

I guess with 3 wires in that socket two would be K line & L line the remaining one is either ground or 12V. 12V would be easier to find.

I will keep looking maybe I will figure this out so that I hand wire it to the 16 pin connector.

Michal

Back