FIAT Barchetta

Currently reading:
FIAT Barchetta

FIAT Barchetta

• Total voters
Even the UK spec was only available as a LHD, but then, that just made you more exclusive :)

Attachments

• Fiat_Barchetta_001.JPG
    Fiat_Barchetta_001.JPG
    528.3 KB · Views: 1,108
  • fiat_barchetta_1.jpg
    fiat_barchetta_1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 534
  • 204327_1286094363_PICT0362.JPG
    204327_1286094363_PICT0362.JPG
    589.7 KB · Views: 171
i don't understand any hate for this engine... its a good engine

It's "ok", just not as good as it should be. Not really that characterful and too thirsty for what it is.

And i still stand by the fact that it just doesn't suit the mk2 hgt generally, it has pretty much the right figures but just not the sparkle.

Exactly the same as when Ford made the SportKa and StreetKa and bunged in a 1.6 engine from their South African division rather than used the 1.7 they had in the Puma.

It works in the Barchetta much better but can't help but feel with a more tuneful, zippier engine, it'd be a stunner.

tbh i mostly coming from specs and figures and heresay from owners of barchettas and mk2 punto hgt's - not driven one but as far as i can tell its just same as my 20v engine but is missing a cylinder. Not sure how its fuel consumption can be so bad when you look at it from that point of view - as the 20v isn't that bad (bearing in mind its a 2.0 petrol engine its not that bad, its not what you would call economical lol). Seem to take boost pretty well from what i have read and thats a good thing in any engine imo. lol

Modern day Fiat 850 Spyder that was never marketed as such.

Just like the 850 Spyder the Barchetta was based on something mediocre (the MkII Punto) but was spectacular. Even the Punto HGT based version we got was a supermodel compared to a supertramp styling wise.

Also like the 850 being left hand drive only; made the car cool by default.

Didn't sell very well compared to the MX5, MGF and such of the time and of course the poor thing had to compete with the Fiat Coupe and Alfa Spider. All adds to exclusivity now.

If Fiat has pulled the "Modern day 850" pin the Barchetta could have been as big as the BMW MINI or new Fiat 500 but I for one am glad they didn't. If this car was popular with the trendy's it would be "like totes so 90's" now but when you look at 90's cars it's hard to find anything that looks as good, handles as well, is as easy to live with and most important is anywhere near as cool.

Understated and one to watch as it takes the classic market by storm.

(Yes I'm about to buy one)

The Barchetta/Punto HGT engine was basically the Alfa Twin Spark with just one plug per cylinder. I made almost as much power so its hard to see what all the TS fuss was about.

It was strangled by the pre-cats tucked up against the exhaust manifold. A sports free flow manifold with underfloor cat would release the zing.