fiat-dino-06.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 59_1.jpg
    59_1.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 303
  • 42538878.jpg
    42538878.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 258
I've clicked on Sub-zero because apart from the styling, of both Spider and Coupe, the fact that they had Ferrari engines but weren't Ferraris speaks volumes.

Contrary to the Top Gear proviso that a car can't be cool if you've got to explain what it is, to me, that's just what makes the Dino really cool. Only those who know their classic cars actually know what it is. You can buy a BMW 3-Series with a 1.8 litre four cylinder petrol engine but spec. it with M Series wheels and you get a badge to go with it. Even coloured brake calipers if you like, but it still remains a "cooking model" and everyone knows it's a B-emm and almost everyone knows the "M" badge.

If I owned a Dino, and the Coupe would be my preferred model, then if someone asked me what it was, I'd just smile and not reply. If they have to ask, then they wouldn't understand.

That's a pretty cool idea actually!

Edit: what did it look like? I can't find it online.

Best I can do via a phone! Screenshot of episode 1 series 4, at 50.38 mins when it appeared! Prob a better clip somewhere, but this was a knockoff YouTube thing (and yes it was that small - think someone had video'd their telly!).

Said DB9 Section. (y)

Last edited:
I don't think so. Well not unless there have been alot changes since, wheels have different finish, badges on front wing are different and the yellow headlights, different wing mirror, different seats, different side repeater and location, it has the chrome strip along the bottom on the side and the wheeler dealers one didn't.

The Mafia's preferred choice in the original Italian Job too! :cool:
I was only 12 when I saw the film, but there was something about Rosanno Brazzi's Muira, but mainly it was Raf Vallone's dark blue Dino coupe that really caught my eye.

Although the film was typical of late '60s British cinematic mischief making, it also said a lot about the conservative British industrial complex as, allegedly, BMC gave a very small number of Minis (in single figures I believe) whereas Alfa and FIAT provided everything from the Police Giuliettas to the little Nuova 500s seen in the traffic jams and the FIAT car transporters.

On the subject of Italian cars on the screen, I wonder if anyone has been watching Inspector Montalbano on BBC4 lately. If not you can probably find it on iPlayer or catch up.

The "Young Monatalbano" series is full of classic Italian cars, the Police cars are all Alfa 156 and Tipos. The later series finds Montalbano still driving a Tipo, but a late model as opposed to the DGT variant in the early series and the liveried cop cars are 'new' Bravos and Alfa 159s.

Worth a look if you can deal with the subtitles.

Mmm, just had a thought, but what about a Forum road trip to Sicily? Just a thought...................

There's one for sale, an orange Spider, just down the road from me at www.uksportsandprestige.co.uk
It states POA on the website but on their ebay ad the asking price is almost £1million.
An undeniably beautiful classic Italian but that is silly money. If I had that kind of cash I'd be after a Ferrari 275, a 330GTS, a Testarossa, a Lamborghini 400GT or a Maserati Ghibli. All gorgeous and all with "tipico italiano sprezzatura"

Or maybe this, an Alfa, one of Enzo's old runabouts, on the ramp at the Mille Miglia. Go if you ever get chance!

Attachments

• DSCN2964.JPG
    DSCN2964.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 123
These are taken from where the Italian Job bus was left hanging. The bit around the lake was often used by Top Gear. You can see the dam from where the bus wobbled on the edge.

The road turns away from the edge - ideal for hiding the anchor chains. Stills from the film show the spot.

Attachments

• Nivolet Belvedere sign.JPG
    Nivolet Belvedere sign.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 305
  • Belvedere web.jpg
    Belvedere web.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Italian Job end film - pass and lake.jpg.jpeg
    Italian Job end film - pass and lake.jpg.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 610
  • Italian Job end film - bus on edge.jpg.jpeg
    Italian Job end film - bus on edge.jpg.jpeg