Punto (Mk2/2b) Punto Mk2 Hgt OBD Vag com/PC issue...

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Punto Mk2 Hgt OBD Vag com/PC issue...

Hey Guys:D

Working on the old HGT getting it ready for it VIC test, car has an airbag symbol on due to clock spring being broken before. Have replaced that and have tried various methods since to reset the light. Have now invested in the Multiecuscan software and KKL vagcom cable with adapters and its connects to the ecu 'connecting' then....NOTHING. Message reads after 'COM PORT ERROR' and to 'check connection'. Connection of the cable is via USB connected to my laptop and has the right vers of the software on it (windows 7). Forked out for another cable recommended to work with said software but the pin-switching version this time. Again same message, so to play advocate I plugged it into the current HGT I'm driving manufactured in the same year (2000) and the same message came up.

So my question is do I need to seek out a more expensive lead that WILL actually work or is it a software/hardware issue with the Laptop? (ibmT42):confused::confused::confused:

Cheers!

Hi, WRONG section..,
however the KKL leads should work o.k.,
BUT check on the MES site to see which leads ELM327 or VAG com KKL go with the cars ECU you are trying to communicate with, AND YELLOW or Green adaptor
THEN go into MES - F9 settings to do the port set-up, then test in the "settings" once working click o.k.,

THEN you can scan the ECU ,
or "Connect", followed by fault codes,

Charlie

Hi,
A com port error normally refers to the connection between the PC and the adaptor, not the adaptor and the car. I assume you are using a USB lead. The interface has a USB to serial adaptor chip in it that requires a driver. You can go to device manager on your PC and check what com ports are present. See the multiecuscan manal for more info http://multiecuscan.net/HowToUse.aspx .
You need to sort out the com port first, this is a PC issue, not an MES one.

Robert G8RPI.

Guys thanks for the replies, Oldhammer might very well take you up on the offer should all else fail. I'll check out those recommends...(y) oh btw Varescrazy, which section should this have been posted...technical? It's been a while since posting any questions like these!:p

Back