Technical 500L mpw which engine?

Currently reading:
Technical 500L mpw which engine?

cps

I don't know much about engines, torque, bhp etc. so I need some advice / suggestions about the best engine type for me.

My daily commute is about 40miles, (20 on clear flowing motorway). I do quite a lot of urban driving, but also long runs on motorway as well as driving with a car full in the lakes and other hilly areas, with a trailer.

Will the 1.3 deisel cope with the hills?

I don't know much about engines, torque, bhp etc. so I need some advice / suggestions about the best engine type for me.

My daily commute is about 40miles, (20 on clear flowing motorway). I do quite a lot of urban driving, but also long runs on motorway as well as driving with a car full in the lakes and other hilly areas, with a trailer.

Will the 1.3 deisel cope with the hills?

It depends what you mean by cope really, it should be fine but I would expect a need to change down on certain inclines to fifth or even fourth, especially if you are fully laden.

On steep inclines you should definitely expect to.

I had the small diesel in a rental 500L on Sardegna last summer and I was surprised how well it drove. Actually this was the reason for me to buy a 500L. Anyway, we drove curvy mountain roads and highways and it did great on both. The 1.6 that I now have is quicker but more nose heavy. I think if you are no sporty driver you will be happy with the 1.3.

It depends what you mean by cope really, it should be fine but I would expect a need to change down on certain inclines to fifth or even fourth, especially if you are fully laden.

On steep inclines you should definitely expect to.

Thankyou for that. I used to drive an Espace 1.9d with a trailer, and so changing down (even to second) would not be unheard of!

:)

I had the small diesel in a rental 500L on Sardegna last summer and I was surprised how well it drove. Actually this was the reason for me to buy a 500L. Anyway, we drove curvy mountain roads and highways and it did great on both. The 1.6 that I now have is quicker but more nose heavy. I think if you are no sporty driver you will be happy with the 1.3.

Thankyou. I don't think I'd be considered a sporty driver! so it sounds as though the 1.3 would be ok.

Back