Technical Broken hose/pipe. Please help!

Currently reading:
Technical Broken hose/pipe. Please help!

Boblido

Hello,

Can anyone identify the hose from the attached images. The black one in the middle. My Panda diesel Multijet has been playing up for a while now and I have just noticed this pipe has broken where it connects to the larger pipe. Hopefully you can see this from the images. It must have been like this for a while as it appears the previous owner has siliconed it.

Also, could this be a DIY job? I've spent so much on fixing this car already and I've only had it a few months.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20150224_074749.jpg
    20150224_074749.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
  • 20150224_074813.jpg
    20150224_074813.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
I can't tell from that picture... it doesn't look like it's on there. It's the shiny black pipe that's broken. If you can see from the top picture on the left it's not aligned because it's broken. It was difficult to get a good picture because there's lots of other stuff in the way...

I don't think it's on the ePER. I was thinking perhaps it's the oil breather hose from what I've researched, but I'm not sure.

Can't help with identifying the pipe, but in the first image the right hand of the shiny normalflex pipe is just a bit higher than the shiny spots of the sealant. In image no 2 is the other way round or upside down and the left end is lower. Doe's this make sense?

It is obviously not a high pressure pipe, so a 'low pressure' type repair should fix it.
As you suspect it has been fixed with silicon before, a similar ( only better quality) repair should work. Unless you can get the pipe out that's gonna be a pig of a job.

Click on the left picture and when it expands, click again and with any luck you will have an enlarged image. The right hand end of the pipe and the hole in the large pipe are clearly visible.

Click on the left picture and when it expands, click again and with any luck you will have an enlarged image. The right hand end of the pipe and the hole in the large pipe are clearly visible.

So the shiny black pipe marked 'normal' on the left end should be connected where the hole is and sealant is visible just below the other end of the shiny pipe? My best guess so far :)

Sort of obvious once you can see it

Last edited:
Hopefully these pictures will make more sense. I've made sure they're the right way up. Sorry about the confusing ones before, as you might be able to tell, I'm a bit of and amateur at these things. I just really hope it's fixable and not too expensive...

Attachments

• Panda 3.jpg
    Panda 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • Panda 4.jpg
    Panda 4.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • Panda 5.jpg
    Panda 5.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
  • Panda 1.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 93
  • Panda 2.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 80
Could be PCV pipe connecting to the intake. I'd buy a new (or used) intakepart and reconnect everything. Couldn't be too expensive.

gr J.
Thank you. That sounds about right. I was researching last night and it looks like the connector is part of the intake pipe, so that is the problem. Does this sound about right?

Also, do you think it could be a DIY job (with my dad, who actually knows something about cars - unlike me)? It seems really difficult to get to. Would I have to remove other things to get to it?

Thanks again for your time.

I think it is the crank breather pipe that connects to the air inlet pipe from the MAF to the intercooler. As it is broken, it is probably letting unfiltered air into your engine and also causing faulty crankcase breathing.
Not good, but not terminal.
If you can get to it, you could repair the break, because it's not a high pressure pipe so a simple glue and wrap repair would do it, but the best solution is replacement.

Last edited:
With some help even my son in law (and he virtually only knows how to fill the windowwasherfluid) could replace that;)
Probably just a pair of hoseclamps on either side.
Not only would the air sucked in there be unfiltered, but also unmeasured by the MAF.

gr J

Not only would the air sucked in there be unfiltered, but also unmeasured by the MAF.

gr J

Which goes to suggest that, as long as fault codes have not been logged or pretty red lights decorated the dash display, the MAF sensor is not all it's cracked up to be.
The MAF has a wide failsafe operating range, and this leakage obviously is still within that range.

Thank you. That sounds about right. I was researching last night and it looks like the connector is part of the intake pipe, so that is the problem. Does this sound about right?

Also, do you think it could be a DIY job (with my dad, who actually knows something about cars - unlike me)? It seems really difficult to get to. Would I have to remove other things to get to it?

Thanks again for your time.

If it were me I would remove the broken part from smaller pipe which is easy to do by lifting the smaller pipe upwards so you can get to it. I would then fit a small section of a similar pipe on the end of the smaller pipe via a connector. The connector could be a larger size pipe for example, and then arrange the total length so that now the smaller pipe fits inside the much larger pipe, instead of just being in contact with it when it was repaired last time, and then silicone that and it should be fine.

That all seems doable via your finger tips reaching into the hole?.

Which goes to suggest that, as long as fault codes have not been logged or pretty red lights decorated the dash display, the MAF sensor is not all it's cracked up to be.
The MAF has a wide failsafe operating range, and this leakage obviously is still within that range.

Absolute right! But although still in range, it's not gonna run better.

I wouldn't go through the trouble of "repairing" the pipe. Just source a used one from a breakers.

gr J

I have had the EML decorating the dash. It keeps reading as EGR, air filter etc. It seems a bit confused.

Back