General Blue smoke! Help, please.....

Currently reading:
General Blue smoke! Help, please.....

Stolengoat

Hi everyone - Just joined here, but not sure if this is in the right forum, but perhaps someone can redirect it if appropriate....

I have a 2008 Doblo 1.3 multijet diesel... just bought it to replace the previous one I had that I nice man drove into while it was parked... he was 3 times over the limit and wrote it off...

Anyway, I bought the replacement in London from a fairly dodgy dealer at a low price and with a warranty that probably isn't worth anything. Took it for a test drive and everything was fine, but about 10 miles down the road it started blowing blue smoke... this continued on and off until I got back to Somerset. I've had it for a bout a week now and it always starts fine, and the car drives fine, but the smoke appears about 10 minutes into the journey and happens most of the time, although it does sometime disappear.

Took it to my local garage and they didn't really have a clue and suggested that I take it to a Fiat Dealer because they might have come across the same problem. It only has about 50k miles on the clock.

The Fiat dealer looked at it today and they seemed confident that it was down to a blocked EGR valve, so my questions are....

1. Does this seem like a likely diagnosis? They seemed confident that it wasn't the turbo unit.

2. How much do you think it would cost to replace, and is this something that a local general mechanic should be able to handle? The dealer gave me a quote of around £600... but that's based on their £85/hr labour rate and a genuine Fiat part.

Many thanks for reading

If the egr valve is stuck open,it will not start,if it is partially open it will run bad,cut out and chuck out black smoke not blue that is oil,turbos are a weak point on most cars all you need to do is miss a service or two and they give up,turbos are very sensitive to dirty oil as they spin at well over 100,000 rpm,could also be head gasket,easiest way to check turbo is remove air intake pipe and feel for play in compressor turbine shaft,but at this stage they are usually noisey.Not everyone will understand what i mean but that's where i would start.It would be worth while sticking your finger in exhaust tail pipe to see if oil is in there.

Hello, I know this is a pretty old post but wondered if you got the bottom of the blue smoke problem as our 2009 1.3 multi jet lobby has the exact same problem! thanks :)

Hello, I know this is a pretty old post but wondered if you got the bottom of the blue smoke problem as our 2009 1.3 multi jet lobby has the exact same problem! thanks :)
Hi millers diesel power, absolutely brilliant stuff, do a double dose first off. Neil

Back