Technical GP 1.2 8v Cambelt / Timing Belt change - without special tools?

Currently reading:
Technical GP 1.2 8v Cambelt / Timing Belt change - without special tools?

cancunia

Folks,

I'm onto my second Fiat after a few years break, the last one was a 1.4 Brava which got squished when a truck hit it. I've just bought a GP 1.2 and want to change the cam / timing belt & tensioner but can only find guides of how to do this with the special tools for locking the cam & crankshaft. I've various threads here and elsewhere but no certain answers that I could find. This is the first of a few cars that I've changed the cam belt on and it's the first that seems to be only possible with special tools.

Is there a way to do this without those tools?

Thanks

The reason for the locking tool, is so you don't inadvertently move the crank or cam of of sync when you take the belt off.
I have changed belts in the past without such a tool, however, you'd have to extra due diligence by making your own timing marks, and ensure that they are pretty accurate. A splodge of paint isn't adequate.

Failing that, you can probably manufacture your own locking tool out of a scrag end of old steel etc.

One tooth out on the belt, is unlikely to cause any engine damage, however, the ECU will know about it, so the EML will probably be on there after.

Thanks for the quick reply. I like the idea about making some tools up & much better than spending about £80 on tools that you use once for about 30 mins!
From what you've written can I take it that there are no factory made timing marks on either pulley? It seems odd if that's so as it'll be a real challenge to refit a camshaft.

See my guide

Andy, I re-read your guide. Am I corect in thinking that the camshaft itself is held in place by the locking tool, but not the camshaft pulley? Does the camshaft position sensor work off the pulley? If so, I can see how moving it relative to the camshaft would require some re-learning.

Back