Technical Fiat Stilo Airbag/SRS ECu/module unit location

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Stilo Airbag/SRS ECu/module unit location

wolfandy

Hello!
Got issue with airbag warning meesage on dash :( Its 2002 Fiat Stilo 1.6 16V (left hand drive). Unfortunately diagnostic tool wasnt able to connect to to airbag ecu so decision was to replace unit. Unfortunately i cant find it :mad:
Autodata says that it must be behind plastic panel by floor - nothing on both sides (n)
Try to google it and came up with two options:
- by gear leveler - no luck (n)
- behind lower glove box - no luck (n)
Only what has left is upper glove box - but neet to remove cd changer - waiting for removal tools now :bang:
Is thats the place where i will be able to find it? :confused: Or someone can point me to correct direction? :idea:
Thanks in advance :cool:

Last edited:
Hello

Quick question has the diagnostic tool you are using to attempt to connect to airbag ecu known to had success in connecting to a stilo airbag ecu in the past, as even when using multiscan software modifications to the elm cable are required to connect to the airbag module or ready made cables for that software are available,,, just so to know if it is not the tool that is causing connection issues to the airbag ecu to read codes and pin point the problem with warning light

:yeahthat:

if you're still struggling after you are certain you're using the correct patch cable/modified OBD connector....

remove the passenger footwell panel of the center console (as if you were going to change the pollen filter)
the airbag ECU is bolted to the hump in the body floor. directly in line with the radio head unit but slightly forward of the heater controls... next time im in there ill try to remember to take a picture but at the minute i cant find one.

Hello

Quick question has the diagnostic tool you are using to attempt to connect to airbag ecu known to had success in connecting to a stilo airbag ecu in the past, as even when using multiscan software modifications to the elm cable are required to connect to the airbag module or ready made cables for that software are available,,, just so to know if it is not the tool that is causing connection issues to the airbag ecu to read codes and pin point the problem with warning light
There was used Solus Pro latest model to scan a car. So far this diagnostic tool was able to scan any car without problems and if there was required some secific cable then on screen pop-up message with requuest to connect it. otherwise it works perfect. except this case....

:yeahthat:

if you're still struggling after you are certain you're using the correct patch cable/modified OBD connector....

remove the passenger footwell panel of the center console (as if you were going to change the pollen filter)
the airbag ECU is bolted to the hump in the body floor. directly in line with the radio head unit but slightly forward of the heater controls... next time im in there ill try to remember to take a picture but at the minute i cant find one.
I have think that pollen filter is on driver side!?!? Anyway im going out to try it again

good news - finaly found it! autodata information was correct - it was on floor level deep in middle under heater unit.

now just need to find replacement with correct part number - can anyone offer?
Sensor Airbag C404/46835521/5WK42969/04-321238NAT

thanks for link!
got ecu time ago. pluged it in and seems ok. diagnostic shows issue with passenger ocupancy sensor. not sure how it works but looks like will need to use emulator from ebay to avoid it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got emulator plugged in and multiecuscan with red cable/adapter was able to read airbag fault codes. manage to clear all of them except last one:

0E - Side airbag (driver) - Value too high

My autodata software shows that there should be several airbags on driver side - steering wheel airbag, side airbag in seat, airbag/curtain and pyrotechnic pretensioner.
On visual inspection of car i was able to see only steering wheel airbag and pretensioner - these was marked with sign saying "airbag". Couldnt found anything else - does that mean that my issue is steering wheel airbag???

Side airbag.. that would be the airbag inside the seat.. definitely not the one in the steering wheel.

Value to high- that usually means a bad ground/connection

Side airbag.. that would be the airbag inside the seat.. definitely not the one in the steering wheel.

Value to high- that usually means a bad ground/connection
about side airbag location i have think the same but i cant see any marks or identifications that in these seats would be mounted airbag!?!?!?!?

i checked my car again - looks like there is some sort of airbags actualy inside of both fronts seats. i found like a small vinyl badge/emblem saying "airbag" nearly at high of shoulders when sitting in seat. Hard to notice since these badges are dark and nearly in the same colour as my seats.
MES diagnostic shows issue with ground so looks like i will need to unbolt seat and check wires under it....

am i looking in correct way?

looks like i will need to unbolt seat and check wires under it....

You don't need to unbolt the seat, the wiring connectors under the seats are mounted on a tray that swivels forwards. There's a releasable clip that retains the tray.

Black connector is for electric, heated seats (if fitted). Orange is for the airbag in the top of the seat back rest. Grey is for the OCS (if fitted). White is for the seatbelt unfastened warning.

Below are location diagrams of all the airbag devices for 3 door, 5 door and MW versions. Not all Stilos have all 8 airbags.

Attachments

• RHD LF Seat Wiring.JPG
    RHD LF Seat Wiring.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 614
  • 3 Door.JPG
    3 Door.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 635
  • 5 Door.JPG
    5 Door.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 598
  • MW.JPG
    MW.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
You don't need to unbolt the seat, the wiring connectors under the seats are mounted on a tray that swivels forwards. There's a releasable clip that retains the tray.

Black connector is for electric, heated seats (if fitted). Orange is for the airbag in the top of the seat back rest. Grey is for the OCS (if fitted). White is for the seatbelt unfastened warning.

Below are location diagrams of all the airbag devices for 3 door, 5 door and MW versions. Not all Stilos have all 8 airbags.
Thanks Davren for advice and pics. Got tray with cables out without any problem. Clean all pins and with MES + red cable adapter clear airbag red light! All works perfect now! Thanks a lot!

Just wondering why nowhere was described about these color coded cables - all what i have seen was improved ELM cable what didnt work out for me....

Back