General ulysse engine cutting out at idle?

Currently reading:
General ulysse engine cutting out at idle?

martin d

after a couple of years faithful service my 99 2.0 petrol ulysse has just started cutting out at idle.this happened all of a sudden.today!!
i thought i'd take a look under the bonnet(although i'm no mechanic)this may sound stupid but i'm sure somethings missing.a component to the left of the accelerator cable fixing.(throttle housing below coolant tank)
i would be grateful for any help or advice,
thanks martin

a photo,hopefully....

i also tried opening the throttle cable so that car revs slightly higher this morning.this still didnt work car cuts out as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator.

Attachments

• 2005-09-24 049.JPG
    2005-09-24 049.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 149
Don't think there is anything missing looks the same as mine. If you look at previous threads in this section(idle problem solved short term) you will see quite a few of us have had this problem. I found the the stepper motor/idle valve was to blame once replaced have had no problems since. *touches wood* Its the black component on your picture with four wires coming from it. It is a plunger which allows just the right amount of air to bypass the throttle when closed to allow the engine to idle. By removing it I cleaned the plunger as it was coated in gunk, and seemed to work for a while but in the end i got one from someone on ebay scrapping the same car. The idle valve has two screws. Torx type on mine if I remember it is T20 which is used but be gentle as they may be tight and you can chew the heads!
One thing to keep you going is to adjust when needed the throttle cable to leave the thottle ajar. When the idle rights itself as in revs high at idle you just re-adjust back.

Good luck and all the best.
Donald

Last edited:
the idle control valve strikes again happened to me i removed it cleaned it and the pipes comming from it and touch wood ,fingers crossed, have had no problems since , :D having said that i have not driven it today.

hi guys
and thanks for the advice.i took it apart today(knackered one head in the process!)
cleaned it up,re-fitted and car is now running lovely again :)

thanks again for quick replies,cheers martin.

Did the same myself :eek: hence the warning. But if you use that one for the top hole you can get away with using pliers as I had to just don't tighten too much.

Cheers.
donald

Back