*OT* Motorcycle test

Currently reading:
*OT* Motorcycle test

B

Buzz

I was wondering if anyone has passed their motorbike test, wether on a limited or direct access license?

I did the CBT last week, and am booking a block of lessons for January to be followed by the full direct access test, even though i'm only planning on buying a 125cc bike to start with. I still have to sit the theory test (i cant believe that i need to sit a theory test again! lol) but before I go I just wondered what experiences people have had?

I WAS PLANNING ON GETTING A 125CC, but the instructor, and all the riders i know, say to get at least a 500. Even a 500 isn't going to satisfy for long :S See below for the bike i'm after now...

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4 & now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

The theory test recently changed to be longer, have more questions and supposedly be harder. But from what I gather its the same set of questions as before Sept 1st, just more of them.

Sat mine in August and tbh, as long as you do a tiny bit of revision beforehand you'll be fine.

2 part to the theory, 1st is multiple choice and the second is hazard perception (involving watching a video and clicking a mouse when you see a hazard develop).

Can't comment on the real riding part, putting that off until I can afford it :)

insybrava3.jpg

Mar '99 1.9TD / 45,500 miles
Current Status: Oddly enough, alright!

i read about the theory test extending to 50 questions instead of 35. that sucketh!

i'm not too worried about the theory test. i'll find an emulator online, or borrow a video or something for the hazard perception part. lol.

The only part i think will be difficult is the on road part, because 600cc bikes are somewhat different to handle compared to the 125s i've ridden so far, lol. I'm thinking that since its a direct access test, it'll be particularly tough.

I'd rather do that though, than the basic test and be restricted. You cant be too well trained at the end of the day, but i dont want to make it too much harder to get a pass than is necessary

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

gatso.gif

It seems really hard :( My friend has half talked me into taking mine next year

I recently did my theory test.. it was easy dont worry. I forgot to 'study' but still got alot more correct answers then needed.. Hazard perception was easy too.

I plan on doing my 'restricted' access test in jan/feb. not being over 21 im not allowed direct access and will be limited to 33.3bhp for 2 years :( (unless i reach 21 first) muahah!!

1997 Fiat Bravo 1.6 SX
RUNNING WELL
Needs some cosmetic work;
-Need to respray front wing (Colour doesnt match);
-Could also do with a clean;
-Need new bump strips;
-Want new wheels.

unless you reach 21 first?

surely you already know when you'll turn 21 and if thats before or after your 2 years ;)

lol

Buzz

gatso.gif

I was tired... Yes i will reach 21 first :p

1997 Fiat Bravo 1.6 SX
RUNNING WELL
Needs some cosmetic work;
-Need to respray front wing (Colour doesnt match);
-Could also do with a clean;
-Need new bump strips;
-Want new wheels.

Defo do direct access if your 21 or if its like a couple of months to your b'day, restricting a bike is a pain in the wallet then getting bored and derestricting is a pain in the arse. i was 17 when i passed mine 19 now, 33bhp bikes are fun when you first get on them from a 125 but they soon tire. Also i wouldnt get a 125 just go straight in to the training, since you already drive you have the on road experience that you will gain from riding a 125.

The instructor really was pushing me to get a bigger bike straight off the bat too, but i can get hold of a cagiva planet 125 (30bhp) for £1k with under 10k on the clock but a comparable 500cc bike costs 3 times that. Then the insurance on the 125 (tpft) is £105 for me yet was quoted 480 odd for a 500... Then the running is more expensive.

I'm inteding to run this plus a small car, possibly a 90's mini cooper, so i really need to keep an eye on what its all gonna cost.

Buzz

gatso.gif

I think its just longer but if you read up on it you should be ok.

I did DAS couple of years ago and never looked back....love my bike

you can pick up cheap 500's for less than 1k, however i recomend a suzuki bandit 600 does everything you need, and quicker than pretty much anything affordable on 4 wheels. i had a 1996 bandit 600 and miss it to bits was 100% reliable and the perfect 1st big bike

a bandit will kill you if you are a new rider they are way too happy to lift at the front. something sensible like a cbr 400 or 600 (depending on budget) would be better.

if you are doing direct access the test will be on a bike above 250cc.

The test and training will be on a 500cc bike. I forget what make/model my instructors use, but they've got 8 or 9 of the same one lol.

I'm gonna do direct access for sure, but still just get a 125 to start. probably the cagive planet 125 2stroke, or a cbr125. Later i might get a CBR600 though

Buzz

gatso.gif

I'll have to point my other half in the direction of this thread as she currently has a CBR-600 and loves it :)

insybrava3.jpg

Mar '99 1.9TD / 45,500 miles
Current Status: Oddly enough, alright!

I have to differ the bandit is nowhere near as easy to lift the front as a cbr600 can do fairly turfing wheelies on the cbr on the throttle need plenty clutch on bandit get them up.

that may be true karlos but it is a lot easier to get a bandit up and usually over with the clutch. and from experience new riders usually struggle with clutch control more than throttle.

From what i can remember the test is only as bad as the car test (did my full bike test a year before i did my car test), i'd say it's no easier doing the restricted test as you are always going to be marked on the same critera.

I think the 500's you'll probably use will initially feel silly fast compared to the 125's but once you're used to the power itself they are much easier to ride due to the torque. It just means you can concentrate on your clutch control more as the engines are more forgiving.

as for buying a 500, don't do it! most 500's these days are really rather ropey and , bar the hondas, won't last long. better to (as someone else said) get a 400 of some sort if they fit you ok and bumble around on one long enough for you to feel more confident. a 125 would leave you wanting more after a short while and you won't like how often they'll need maintaining if you have a 2 stroke.

£400 is expensive for your first year but it will surprise you how much it'll come down after a year, my first year insured on a VFR400 cost £1500 at 18 which came down to £600 after the first year

Good to see a few more people on here getting onto bikes! Goood luck on the test fella, it's cold out there! ;)

jaytagnew.jpg

http://www.geogreeting.com/view.html?zes3Jepv+vO3jHJy+!8mAXb+OD

have you considered SV650 can get one quite cheap not bad on insurance and a popular 'learner' bike

if it fits you a vfr400 is a good choice (they are rather physically small though)

Something like a bandit with its sit up and beg stance will be less intimidating than a crouched CBR/vfr though.

Ignore stories of bandits flipping. Its virtually impossible to "accidently" flip a bike :)

as for the test....piece of cake :)

one of the guys i was learning with almost did a wheelie. on the 125! lol. Instructor was just laughing his nuts off....

Buzz

gatso.gif