calling 1.2 owners

Currently reading:
calling 1.2 owners

G

Gaz

im downgrading from a 1.8 to a 1.2, jus want to no wat to look out for, i no the obv stuff mentioned in the guide. red key, sunroof, electrics etc etc. jus wonderin if theres any thin specific to the 1.2sx model to look out for, also what are they like on fuel? parkers ses 41mpg, but on the otherhand it ses the 1.8 does 34mpg which mine certainly does not.

all advice apreciated

The engines on these are very good and providing it starts,pulls and runs fine theres not much to watch out for except full service history.The gearboxes on them are weak as fook though.Be sure to check the selection from first to second from cold,then to 3rd and back down the box as the synchros wear out.If its all okay bang some good gearoil in there to stop wearing of the synchros.Also make sure clutch operation is good and no noise when depressing it on idle as sometimes the release bearings eat through the pressure plate causing loss of clutch.So if theres a whirring noise its had it.Also be sure to check the usual stuff like brake pipes for corrosion,front arm front bushes etc etc.

thx for that, the car i want to buy belongs to a friend. i think first gear can occasionally be abit stiff going in. but 95% of the time its fine, i dont think it happens particularly wen its cold eitha, u think that cud prove to be a problem? it does start but takes 2 turns of the key in the morning aswell.

the cars done 77k, all the other gears go in fine. ive test drove it and it drives nice. as nice a drive as my 1.8 actually and definetly pulls well for a 1.2. the clutch is slightly stiffer then my car but gear change is fine so i dont no if thats how the clutches are on the 1.2 model. thx for the advice

They are very nippy for a 1.2.There getting old now so i suppose 4 out of the 5 gears will do.lol.Like i said i would change the gear oil asap and get some good motul stuff.Its expensive but well worth it.

ok then ill def do that if i decide to buy. does that sound a bit dodgy with the first gear? dont wana buy a car that needs alot of work doin. it does go in fine jus every now and again is a bit stiff goin in

Tickover is always a problem with these cars, I say always meaning frequently. Expensive to cure if it's the idle control valve. Around £180/£200 inc diag, reset and Bosch replacement.

it idles fine, no problem with that jus teks two turns of the key somtimes to start but it will start, wudn't think thats any thin to do wid the control valve but wat do i no. lol

The 1.2 is prone to gearbox faults, from over enthusiastic drivers pushing there 1.2's ahrd. The car you mention has got a fair few miles on it. If the gearbox is playing silly sods now it'll only start to get worse. I would avoid and find a better example. Theres plenty around to be picky.

Regarding the car not starting on first turn sounds definately like the cambelt is out a tooth. The car will still idle as normal. My 1.8 HLX did that after a cambelt change.

Hi

The only issue i know of with the 1.2 is head gasket problems, other then that there great cars...

I know this,
I have one... lol

I have a well known 1.2 and I push it hard on a regular basis...I'm still on my 1st gearbox...

its down to how its driven and whether or not you look after it as well as rag it ;)

I rag mine about quite a lot as well and the cars on 103k now on its first gearbox.

as you said, perhaps its how you drive.