cambelt

Currently reading:
cambelt

A

Amma

Hi all 2 days ago I bought a Brava 1.4s, 96 N reg 74000 miles a nice car apart from a dent in the wing, regularly serviced and was told that the cam belt had been changed 11000 miles ago.
It was running sweetly until.... it stopped!
called out the RAC.
He asks me to turn the key and the starter makes a strange noise, he says The bottom of the engine is turning but not the top, took the cover off the side and found that the cam belt had not snapped, but was just very lose.

Im dont know weather to spend any money on this or to scrap it or even to get a different engine, on reading up i found that the 1.4 is the least popular engine, maybe i should try find a second hand 1.2 and put that in or a diesel. or maybe strip it down myself to see what the damage is to save garage bills.
Any comments apreciated
ps i paid £200 for the car, so if i scrap it its not lost me a fortune.

Scrap it.

A new/recon engine plus fitting or fixing the damage will be more than £200.

re cambelt

is there any chance the belt being lose rather than snapping may not have caused damage?

If the belt has slipped it will still have caused damage as pistons will have hit valves.

My HGT belt skipped with no valve damage, you might be lucky.

indicatorsig9rs.gif

just seems a shame to scrap it, the rest of the car seems as good as new apart from a dent in the wing
do the wings bolt on , just wondering if i could get a second hand 1 the same colour.

Take everything you can off it and sell as spares then, will make a damn sight more than £200 by doing that!

Then just scrap the rest!