Wheel locking nut problem(BIG problem)

Currently reading:
Wheel locking nut problem(BIG problem)

A

Anonymous

Why does everything go wrong at the same bloody time anyway ive got a really big problem ive lost the wheel locking nut socket and a need 2 fit my new discs and pads.Im not aware of any way of removing them without the socket.Will my local alloy wheel centre be able 2 remove this or a decent garage?

it shouldnt be a problem for most garages i was quoted £5 per nut to have removed last time or you can send away for a replacment key if possible

Does anyone know if a gator grip would be anygood?

It may work, but it depends on the bolt "look" - if you do try to use it - be cearful not to damage the bolt, or you may have to drill it out afterwards

And the above is if you mean this
etc125.jpg

sven3.jpg

Members Site - - - - - - - My Site

yes sven thats the bit i mean.anyone else got any suggestions before i have ago n probs make things worse.

well the safest way is to drill a hole, smaller then the bolt is in the middle of the bolt and using a thread cutter do a revers read.
Then screw in a normal bolt and using its head twist off the wheel bolt - if you get me ;)

sven3.jpg

Members Site - - - - - - - My Site

re

as above,

but, a low tech trick i have seen used is to buy two cheap sockets and just hammer them onto the lockers.

means you will never use them again but depends how urgent your need is.

I worked at a garage for ten years and used to see this problem all the time. We had a socket the same as the one in the pic and it worked great aslong as the locking nuts/bolts wernt done up too tight. The other way is the method mentioned above, cheap sockets and hammer them on, but make sure you hammer them on well and get a nice tight fit as you may only get one chance before they round. All this is depending on the type of locking nut of course.

If you have the standard Fiat locking nuts you may be able to borrow a spare socket of a mate or someone else with a Fiat. When I was at Fiat we kept a selection of about 5 or 6 and that was enough to remove most of the nuts we encountered.

Hope this will help, Mark.