Checking for damage after hit from behind

Currently reading:
Checking for damage after hit from behind

O

OxTom

I got hit from behind this evening but either through luck or it being dark I couldn't see any damage (except for a number plate bulb which i replaced last saturday).

I'm hoping there's nothing there when I look at it in the light tomorrow but is there anything I should check (other than obvious cosmetics)? The car was a Toyota coupe so had a low bumper and I think the two hardest bits came together.

Thanks.

check the spare wheel bay, if its pushed anything in it will probably show there.

There is a slight possibility that the bumper mounts 'might' be damaged too.

Might be worth getting those checked out too, as if you 'unfortunately' get shunted again, it could cause heavy damage as that area is already weakened.

The trouble with plastic bumpers, being flexible, they can return to their original shape showing little or no sign of damage.
Underneath, it could be a different matter.

Mark.
Council estate lad.
And proud of it!

Member of the Guild of Experienced Motorists.
travelsmall.gif

You will most likely need a new rear panel welding in. I have seen it where the space-saver is actually jammed-in the recess as the metal has deformed around/over it. Also a new centre lug which the wheel locates over/tool kit screws on to is usually required.
Get it checked by a repair centre for certain.
Worst case scenario id say no more than £6-700 for a bumper/panel with all the labour and paint, even with Fiats massive spares prices. Much more than this and id look elsewhere. Its also a good idea to be friendly with the repairer and that way you might just get the odd scratch repaired or even the left over paint-either way its better than nothing and helps against the inconvienience caused! Cash always helps with them to!
Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll take it in tomorrow. I have all the other driver's details so hopefully it shouldn't cost me anything :p

Cheers