Mounting an amp and sub........

Currently reading:
Mounting an amp and sub........

badboy

I've recently bought this off ebay........

cb_1_b.JPG

Its a 12" 1000w sub and amp just wondering i'd be ok wiring it ion but how about actually mounting it in my mk1 punto boot? will i have to drill?

It may be best to make up a false floor and bolt it to that.

The first thing to do is remove the boot carpet and draw round it onto some (18mm) mdf and cut out to make a false floor.

Bolt that down to the boot floor, making sure there are no brake lines in the way underneath the car (I dont think there are) I used screws to do this, purely so I could undo them if I had a puncture, and cover the mdf with the carpet

Then use some corner braces, you can get these in Homebase/ B&Q for a couple of quid, then screw them to both the sub and the false floor, it is best probably to use at least 4 for this task, using woodscrews, but make sure the screws are shorter than the thickness of the false floor, or you'll puncture the spare.

If done properly, this will not only stop the sub moving around, but will also improve the bass response of the sub, as it wont move the box, just the air.

If you find this post helpful, do not forget to "report this post to a moderator" for reputation

cinqysxmk2 said:
If you find this post helpful, do not forget to "report this post to a moderator" for reputation

Blatant plug there :rolleyes: :D

cinqysxmk2 said:
The first thing to do is remove the boot carpet and draw round it onto some (18mm) mdf and cut out to make a false floor.

Bolt that down to the boot floor, making sure there are no brake lines in the way underneath the car (I dont think there are) I used screws to do this, purely so I could undo them if I had a puncture, and cover the mdf with the carpet

Then use some corner braces, you can get these in Homebase/ B&Q for a couple of quid, then screw them to both the sub and the false floor, it is best probably to use at least 4 for this task, using woodscrews, but make sure the screws are shorter than the thickness of the false floor, or you'll puncture the spare.

If done properly, this will not only stop the sub moving around, but will also improve the bass response of the sub, as it wont move the box, just the air.

Whoa thats a lot to take in for a novice :eek: Thanx for the guide i'll try it out.........
I'm wondering any other way than drilling in my car?? or anywhere i can go in the birmingham region to get it done professionally?

Last edited:
Ive got a false floor you can have for £15 mate, PM me for details, Fits that AMp and sub Perfectly :)

If the false floor is tight enough fitting, you could most likely push in some wedges around the sides which will hold it tightly, but this isn't quite as good as screws...

You'll probably have to drill a hole somewhere in the boot for the earth wire anyway...

just want to say a massive thanx to everyone who helped me out.... just finished installing my amp and sub in my car now,(FINALLY!!!) its functional but now i'm going to mount it as recommended in this topic! :)

dont really need to mount to the floor but up to u in my clio the floor is laid in as it is on the punto and the boxes just sit on top of it

phil_GT said:
dont really need to mount to the floor but up to u in my clio the floor is laid in as it is on the punto and the boxes just sit on top of it

Don't they slide around when cornering?

I've just used industrial strength velcro to hold any boxes I have had, solid as a rock.
Would not leave them just loose.

Steve

I wouldn't use anything other than those corner-braces you can get in homebase to secure my boxes down. Just my way of making sure...

EDIT: Thats purely because in an accident (god forbid) velcro isnt gonna stop a flying sub ripping through the back seat...

the seats are locked into place in a accident there not going n e where n if it aint my fault doesnt matter ill bill the other person

phil_GT said:
the seats are locked into place in a accident there not going n e where n if it aint my fault doesnt matter ill bill the other person
right mate,20kg in an impact at say 30mph. i'll let the engineers work out the forces but it will break through your 'locked' seat fairly easily since the locks are not designed for that kind of force

are you going to 'bill' the other driver fro cleaning your brains of the windscreen?
for the sake of a couple of quids L brackets from a DIY store your being very stupid

Back