Q.Can i improvise, or for sake of a tenner or more, just buy ball joint seperator tools??

Currently reading:
Q.Can i improvise, or for sake of a tenner or more, just buy ball joint seperator tools??

N

nico

As above. Is it really too difficult to achieve seperation by hammer and wedge?

I was guna fit the new ones and in the meantime, practive fitting the powerflex, after removing the old bushes.

Haynes suggests ball joint is irreprably damaged tho, in removal, so wouldn't be able to re-fit old wishbone with new powerflex for comparison..is what I was thinking of doing.

Any thoughts??

Re: Q.Can i improvise, or for sake of a tenner or more, just buy ball joint seperator tools??

if you plan to reuse them get a ball joint seperater as they are only cheap! but if you dont want to reuse them i would just hammer them out!

Paul R

Hi Paul

I undid the securing nut, almost all the way off. Then realised I only need have loosened it part way, enough to allow seperation.

I took a look at the coupe hubs I have and and they are smooth right the way though though ie. the recess in the bit of the ball joint that gets clamped onto, must be held in position by the bolt going through the clamp bit.

I've tried getting the bolt out but it really will not budge. I do need to take it out don't I? Or do I just need to turn the bolt (if it is shallowed somewhere on the shaft??and i even than, it still won't budge)

Hayelp!

Re: Hi Paul

No worries :)
Smacked the **** out of the bolt.
Then agve up and just slept in situ on the driveway for an hour.
When I woke I smaked the **** out of it somemore, and whe hey!! Result
(altho I havn't actually got it out just yet - off to get another pinch bolt now to replace the bent one)

Re: Hi Paul

You do not need a ball joint seperator. Just remove the pinch bolt and give it a quick smack with a mallet and out it will pop.