Non starter problem

Currently reading:
Non starter problem

N

nigel

I wonder if anyone can help me with a Fiat Bravo starting problem.

I have a 1600SX Bravo 1996, its developed a starting problem which when i initially start the car the car will not even turn over, after leaving a couple of seconds in normally turns over and starts. I have had the battery checked and its fine and charging from the alternator.

Any ideas, i thought it might have something to do with the solenoid or starter motor?

Nige

Do U hear the starter motor turning when U turn the key?

sven

Does the key code light go out when you insert the key the first time?

No, the starter motor does'nt turnover. But the ignition key code light does go out.

Im edging on the fact that it could be the starter motor, but dont want to fork out if it ends up being the a wiring problem. Does anyone know if i can test the startermotor

Do you hear a click from the engine bay when you turn the key?

Yeah i do get a click from the engine bay, but also a strained noise from the battery. It sounds a bit like when you turn a key too far start a car and the battery strains (if you know what i mean)

Cheers for your responses

Sounds like the click from the solinoid but nothing in the starter
i've had this same problem with mine and also on a few older cars.
Rather than bugger about stripping it and trying to get it working again i went down to the scrappies and bought a new (fairly new. lol) one.
They test to see that it's working fine before you part with your dosh
i got one for £20
fitted it and now no problem.
I kept the old one so i could change the bushes in the back of it and give the rest a damb good clean up in case i ever needed another one (but haven't got round to it yet)
So if i was you i'd just get another one from your local scrappies and i'm sure you'll find that that is the fault.

I think you could be right, as i have the battery and leads, sparks etc changed recently. I shall try and get a second hand/recon one and see if its any better.

Thanks for all your help and knowledge on this matter, you have certainly been more help than the guy in my local fiat garage who still refuses to believe there is a problem.

Thanks again, ill post more info when i have a new starter. Cheers again nige