Insurance thread

Currently reading:
Insurance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On recommendation byPete, I am starting a thread about insurance where we can discuss the possibility of individuals requesting help for modifications and stating specifically that they won't insure it and whether they should be helped or not.

Apparently not doing so means I am not making the forum aware enough and that that sort of information can't go within the relevant thread since it is off-topic.

So, what do people think?

Tell the Insurers everything guys and gals - not to do so is to court disaster even with allegedly "undetectable" remaps. Insurance is a legal Contract - the Insurers are out to make money and will possibly quite coldly disclaim liability if you have breached the terms of that Contract. Then where would you be? Game over mates. (n)

Its up to a person what he or she wants to do with there money, after all they earned it, hopefully they are legal earnings.

If they want to purchase a Mod and not insure it thats up to them. you could suggest to them that this is perhaps a bad idea and remind them of the consequences but its up to them.

because mods are not bad I would help a person with regards to modifications even if they clearly state they do not intend to declare it.

However if someone asked me to borrow them £20 so they could go get some drugs for a Party I'd clearly state to them that I will not take part in activities like that nor will I aid you in helping others take part in activities I disapprove of.

Its up to you if you want to help them or not with the modification, which will depend on how morally wrong you think it would be for them to buy a mod, install it and not declare it.

They will be the only ones who get in trouble if caught and the harm they do to themselves wont kill them or damage them psychologically in the long run or something but it may make them think for next time if caught or if they were to hit something and not reimbursed for what they installed.

Last edited:
Trancendental said:
They will be the only ones who get in trouble if caught and the harm they do to themselves wont kill them or damage them psychologically in the long run or something but it may make them think for next time if caught or if they were to hit something and not reimbursed for what they installed.

That's wrong, not insuring your car affects everybody, it adds a great deal to everybody's insurance costs and if you were hit by an uninsured driver, you would likely get nothing oh and nicely, if he/she were to run you or a family member over, forcing residential care for life, you again would likely get nothing.

Would you help somebody then Steve who has stated they won't insure any modifications?

How would you feel if that person you helped then damaged your spine in a crash?

You would get compensation if hit by an Uninsured driver, specially if you were hit and you were not in a car at the time. Is all about asking the right questions and speaking to the right people.

I'd help someone, but remind them of the consequences of an accident or routine stop while uninsured.

Remember, Skimming your head gasket will give you increased performance. but you wouldn't have to tell your insureres about this as this is a common repair performed on over heated engines.

So there are already hundreds of thousands of drivers running on extra BHP completly innocently.

Having a Hobby such as modifying cars is a much better hobby then sniffing coke, I'd much rather walk by the uninsured modified car driver at night then the crack head looking for money and a quick fix.

Trancendental said:
You would get compensation if hit by an Uninsured driver, specially if you were hit and you were not in a car at the time. Is all about asking the right questions and speaking to the right people.

That's not true. If you run TPFT, in nearly all cases you would get nothing. If you had fully comp, you would have to pay your excess even if it is their fault. Why do you think a major insurer has recently done adverts to show that they are the practically only insurer who would pay the excess if this were to happen?

If there is a serious injury which requires £million+ of care costs, if you're outside of a car at the time, you will end up with zilch. You can do a civil court case but that will just lead the guilty party to go bankrupt and you get nothing.

Don't be nieve, where do you think the money comes from? The insurance pot for things like this covers the FC drivers, little more. Walking on the street if somebody uninsured hits you, you're finished. Does that change your opinion?

I think it depends on the mod, if it is a performance mod then I would be worried, but a cosmetic mod wouldn't bother me much as the insuance only want to know about these because it makes the car more attractive to joy riders and theft.

What worries me more about mods, is if they aren't done right. In a lot of European countries if you modify your car from standard it has to be checked by an engineer and the parts used have to be tested and approved.
Just imagine if somebody messed with the brakes and didn't hace a clue about what they were doing.

I think you can get compensation from the insurance agencies special fund if you suffer a personal injury caused by an uninsured driver, but there is no guarantee of getting the full amount if at all. If it is property only damage, then you get nothing.

Steve said:
Paul, it's a big bad world out there. People break the law, it's a fact if life. Your rants on a forum will not change that. :)

But from a personal aspect...you didn't answer my question.

Steve said:
Paul, it's a big bad world out there. People break the law, it's a fact if life. Your rants on a forum will not change that. :)
but drink driving has gone down because its socilay un excepable now, where in the old days lots did it and people would say aww bad luck if someone got caught, now they say fool you should have done it.
speeding is also becoming the same,
so pauls rant might, just might make that 1 person in a 1000, insure his mod, and that maybe the person that runs a kid over, so good rant imo

Steve said:

Just because it happens, doesn't make it acceptable and the more people who rant the quicker it will change and the quicker the punishment will match the crime, which after all can ruin a families life.

My brother was knocked off his motorbike by an uninsured driver who then drove off leaving him in the road. Fortunately two motorbike couriers helpd him and called an ambulance. He was lucky, his wrist was shattered and needed several operations and plates, but he was able to go back to work. If he had been paralysed or something, then his family would be struggling to make ends meet.

It is a big bad world out there, but if you can't be bothered to do anything about it then it will stay that way. I can't stand the attitude of just accepting it and leaving everybody else to sort it out.

Rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back