Fuel System cleaner

Currently reading:
Fuel System cleaner

T

Trixie

I have recently purchased a bottle of 'Forte' fuel system cleaner, as it was suggested it might help get rid of the grime that is in my 96 Brava's injectors.
Has anyone used this stuff and if so can they tell me if its any good.
Cheers

hello. where u live??? if its near me and dill then i.ve got some injector cleaner spray left, u spray it up ur air intake pipe and it cleans it out. if not ill get thename of it when i get home. u buy it at halford. remove the filter and rev the engine whilst spraying up the pipe, hey presto cleaned.

Smee

Re: Re: Fuel System cleaner

Total waste of time, if you've ever taken an engine to bits and tried to clean it you will know that the grime is next to impossible to shift.

Injector cleaner does very little too, worst case it dislodges some crap from the fuel system and kills an injector.

Re: Re: Re: Fuel System cleaner

It was recommended by an ex-VW mechanic, so i guessed he knew what he was on about, cos I dont really know much about cars.
What is the best way to clean the injectors?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fuel System cleaner

The only way to clean them it to take them to bits and then recalibrate them.

Injectors rarely need proper cleaning as modern fuels are very clean already. The pictures they show on the packs for these cleaners are all fake.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fuel System cleaner

We use Forte system cleaner and the stuff is simply superb. You cannot buy it off the shelf generally, its for professional use only. Both the petrol and especially the diesel version work wonders on any system, especially for restoring the spray pattern. We have seen cars that wouldn't stay running on tick over then idle after a 15 mile run with Forte in a low fuel tank.
On the diesel side, smoke almost becomes a thing of the past on high milers too. We have used it to incredible effect with some of the cars we have tuned.
Its made in South Africa and imported by Forte's subsidiary in Coventry. However the minimum purchase is a case of 24 bottles - very expensive! We charge £15 for each application, but I don't think you can post it!! You definnetly can't sniff it as I found out to my rolled eyes and curled toes effect - lol! - Why do I have to smell things!
Nige

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fuel System cleaner

Sorry, I forgot to add, I generally agree with Tom though. These so called fuel system cleaners that you buy from Halfords are an absolute waste of time. They do not clean your system, that may help KEEP it clean but they wont clean it. This is why we were extremely sceptical about this stuff when it was recommended to us and it had to be proved then - and it was!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fuel System cleaner

so what makes your stuff so much better???

Certainly diesels are easier to clean like that due to the pressures involved in the injectors and the fact that suitable solvents to shift the crap buildup are really not that nasty.

Reddex and the likes are basically kerosene and do sod all. If the petrol itself can't disolve the crud then kero (which is heavier than diesel) won't shift it!

The sorts of stuff really required to clean petrol systems are rather harmful to humans.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fuel System cleaner

The bottle of Forte I purchased was ordered from Camskill Peformance Centre in Cumbria.
They sent it by Courier. Do you not think that it will be any good using it then?

Definently use it, it is THE best stuff you can get.
LOL @ Tom - harmfull to humans - now there is an understatement, it nigh on knocked me out! The only thing I have smelt that was worse was freshly liquidised horseradish - that DID knock me out!