Fog lights driving lights and headlights questions!

Currently reading:
Fog lights driving lights and headlights questions!

P

PeteU

Hi all,
I want to sort out the lights on my bravo a 96 1.4sx.
Firtly i have a set of slim line blue ice driving lights(thats what they say on the packet) and a set of raydot fog lights, what's the difference in use between these?
Should i fit:
a) the driving lights and wire them to a separate switch,
b) just fit the fogs and wire them to the foglight switch or
c)should i fit both, with the fogs on the existing switch and a new switch for the driving lights?

With that in mind, does the wiring already exist for the front fogs, as there seem to be several extra connectors on the wiring loom in the lights area of the engine bay. If not what type/rating relays etc are needed?

Is there a difference in positioning of fog lights and driving lights? like the height or distance from sides of car?

Finally i would like to improve the light from the headlights, and without going to the xtra expense of fitting marea headlights. I was thinking of trying some of the extra bright bulbs which are available, has anyone tried any with any good results?

Sorry for all the questions, i've just finally decided that i would like to be able to see in the dark!
Any thoughs and suggestions appreciated
Cheers
Pete

Driving lamps can only come on with the high beam. You will have to fit a new switch.

You will need a relay for the driving lamps.

Philips vison plus or osram silver star from www.powerbulbs.com are the ones to have. Don't waste your time with cheap bulbs.

Re: Re: Fog lights driving lights and headlights questions!

Hi

i fitted fogs to my 97 1.4sx a few weeks back although i used original fiat parts. there is wiring from the fusebox to the bumper (should be a plug tie wrapped to the inside of it) but mine didnt have wiring from the box to the switch panel, so the new switch panel had to be wired in. They all work as if from the factory now except that the green warning light doesnt come on on the switch.

I fitted marea lights last week too and they are sooo much better than original bravo ones, definitely recommended. Im no electrical expert, but i would hesitate against putting high output bulbs in any lights designed for lower output ones (ie 100w where 55w are normally fitted) as ive been told by fiat that this can overload the wiring

hope some of this helps

Nothing personal, but I hate bright lights...

Actually, don't be egocentric. Good view of a road means blinded drivers in other cars around you and you can become a victim of your own lights.
(I drive Brava with original lights/lamps in Russia and have no problem with their brightness... and we don't have catyes on the roads!)

Fiat usually puts 99% of the wiring independent of installed options so usually all the wiring for fog lights is already in place, just check colors in the wiring diagram.

As for the lamps... I've tried many things in my cars. Main problem with powerful lamps (above manufacturer's specs) apart from blinding people around -- glass becomes overheated and... a splash of water on the rainy night, and your in for front light replacement (last time I checked there was no separate glass for Bravo/a lights) and I don't think it's cheaper than 100 GBP in Britain (not including cost of replacement and adsjustment). Also sometimes electric beam angle control motor is not compatible with some of the available aftermarket lights.

So best I found -- Philips lamps -- brighter, better and cheaper than all this "ultra super blue xenone". And... Check adjustment of lights -- 99% of people complainig about dim light of original lights just have wrong adjustment of a beam. BTW, if you have finances -- Marea lights are really good! I've drove Marea in England back in 1999 and was surprised with it's main beam.

Re: Nothing personal, but I hate bright lights...

the fog light wiring is in the car but it seems you need to get a switch and relay for them from fiat, they should be placed near the road so the light shines under the fog. i'd use a relay to turn the driving lights on with main beam and position them in the grill if they will fit. i replaced the headlights with the osram ones tom suggested, very good compared to the standard, the beam length is unbelieveable!

Re: Re: Nothing personal, but I hate bright lights...

Check the "Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989" - just happens I was looking into this subject yesterday!. Basically the difference between driving and fog lights is that driving lights have a reflector designed to give a long-range focussed beam, while fog lights should give a flat, wide, dispersed light.

Driving lights can only be used with main beam and must go out when main beam is switched off. I don't think it's a legal requirement to have a separate switch (I think they can be wired so that the column stalk switches both standard main beam and auxiliary lights?) - this is easier electrically, but it's probably better to use a separate switch just in case. There is no specific requirement regarding position, except that they must be in pairs and cannot be closer to the edge of the car than the standard dipped-beam lights.

Fog lights can be used with either side-lights or dipped beam, but must only be used in "conditions of seriously reduced visibility" - that means when it's FOGGY, just being DARK does not count!!!! Therefore they need a separate switch. The beam must be aligned so that the top edge of the beam is approx 3% below the horizontal at normal kerb-weight with driver (not sure how you measure this!?). The maximum height of the lights is 1200mm, and they must be within 400mm of the sides of the car.

Maximum allowed wattage of bulbs for road use is 55W. However, there are several Xenon-type bulbs which burn brighter and give more light (+30% or +50%) for the same power. These are about £15-20 a pair, from Ring, Osram, Philips. PIAA do a set which give 100W output for 55W draw, but they're £50 a pair from Demon Tweeks! Can't comment about how effective any of these are - was thinking of trying some myself.

Igor makes a good point about making sure your standard lights are aimed properly - difficult to see the road when your lights are pointing at the sky!!

Fit the driving lights if you often drive on unlit lanes with not much traffic (not much good if you're always having to dip them). Fit the fog lights if you think "it makes the car look good" and just want to pi$$ people off…..

Hope this helps.

Rich

Re: Re: Re: Nothing personal, but I hate bright lights...

i would also have the driving lights attached to go on and off with main beam, why not? As for fog lights, in my experience when it's foggy enough to need them most drivers stop!

thanks

thanks for the replies guys,
I agree with everything that has been said, I don't like cars with blindingly bright lights either (police cars have these too!) but i think my bulbs/headlights are well below par, so want to improve that. I will give some brighter bulbs a go, not the massively expensive ones though.

As for the fogs and driving lights, i was thinking of fitting them simply as i already have them. I was thinking of fitting the fogs to work with the rear fog switch, (and yes the amount they get used they are mainly for looks i guess!)
I might give the driving lights a miss as i thought that they were for on dipped beam, as the full beams work pretty well, just most of the time I don't get to use them.

Re: thanks

have your headlights re-aligned at an mot station. i had mine done and this improves things, they were way down.

MOT'd

I had it MOT'd just before christmas and checked the allignment before it went in, and they were good according to the book. (and they passed!) I have the adjuster set for lighest load, as it's usually just me, but even messing with that doesnt seem to make any difference. I'll let all you know what difference the new bulbs make when i buy and fit them.

Cheers

Pete